how much water and milk?

How much water and milk should my one year old be drinking. Im concerend he isn't getting enough now that he is off of formula. Any suggestions.

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 12:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Toddlers don't need any cow's milk. It's better they get protein from other sources. Cow's milk is for baby cows. Moo:)

The amount of water they need depends on their environment, activity level, and foods they eat. A lot of the foods toddlers eat are high in water content. It's recommended that they only have a small amount of juice, like 4-6 ounces a day, from a regular cup not a sippy cup.

We live in Tucson in the desert so of course we need to drink more water. You know the old recommendation that adults drink 8 cups of water a day? That's been thrown out and now the recommendation is to drink to thirst. I give my toddler grandson ice water in a sippy cup after car rides, when he is eating, and whenever I get a glass of water for myself. He can also 'sign' for a drink.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• well i was having trouble getting my daughter to eat so i took her to the ped and it turned out that she was filling up on milk so they told me to only give her 4oz of mild with meals,not with snacks...just meals and she would eat more so i know that 4 oz of milk 3-4 times a day is enough milk and i give my kids water whenever they ask. and at that age i would just keep a sippy cup full of water for them.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• In general, they should have at least 24oz. of liquid per day to stay hydrated. Toddlers should have 3 - 4 servings a of dairy per day. A serving equals 4 oz. milk, 1/2 oz. cheese, 4 oz. yogurt or cottage cheese. You can offer up to 6oz. of juice per day if you'd like. The rest should be water.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Gailll, shut up with the stupid cows milk is for cows crusade. Don't you realize that everyone ignores you!
    Anonymous