What is your daycare fever policy?

At our daycare, a child is sent home if they have a fever of 99 or above. To me, this is overkill. They call us all the time to come and pick up our daughter. Yesterday it was because her fever was 100.1. That is very low in my book! It's starting to get ridiculous. (She already had the swine flu, so while I know they're paranoid about it, they also know that she had it already).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well if you know she isnt sick tell them the fever is caused by teathing. its not like teathing is contagios.
    Anonymous

• Doctors don't even consider that a fever. That is ridiculous.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:38 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Tell me about it! They insist that teething does not cause fever. Sometimes I feel like they are sticking a thermometer up her butt all day just looking for an excuse to send her home. We pay $900 a month for this care!
    Anonymous

• If they have a low grade fever we'll call parents to let them know their child has a low grade fever and we'll check their temp. Later in the day and give them a call if it has gone up. But at 102 they need to go home
    miasmama07

Answer by miasmama07 at 12:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Yeah, that's ridiculous. Our hospital doesn't even consider it a fever unless it's over 104 degrees! My daycare provider won't send him home unless it gets up to that... He's had fevers before, I've given her motrin to give to him when that happens, and she's never refused to take him. Then again, she only has 3 kids total to watch, maybe it's different in the huge daycare centers, I dunno.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• 100.3 is the magic number at my kids' daycare. It's a state law (Texas) for kids to be sent home when temp reaches 100.4.
    Anonymous

• 100 or over.

You should get something from the doctor telling them that 99 is normal. I mean that's .2 over the average norm!! Your daycare is insane! lol
    Anonymous

• I can't remember for sure what ours is... I think it might be over 100... or maybe it's 101.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2009