• In the Spotlight:

how do i stop my two yr old from putting stuff up his nose?

my two yr old keeps putting things up his nose, most of the time i don't even realize it till he sneezes. like one day we were atthe park he sneezed out a little ball or he'll stuff tisssue paper, qtips, little plastic beads from a craft. I don't know where he finds all these tiny objects but he does. anyone else have this difficulty?

mirit.rose

Asked by mirit.rose at 12:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes indeed. My niece use to do this all the time...Its irritating because kids can find the smallest things around the house that a grown up will over look...anyways....one time, the child kept sneezing and sneezing and I was wondering what was wrong with her...she told me that something was stuck up in her nose. OMGoodness...it was a bead! I was terrified and almost called the doctor but instead, I calmed down, grabbed the tweezers and plucked it out her nose. After that incident, I had a long talk with her and put her on the longest time out possible. Needless to say, she didnt do it anymore BUT it is frustrating and scary!
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 12:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My son shoved a masking tape price tag from a yard sale item up his nose. We had to go to the urgent care center and have the doctor get it out. He never did it again. He screamed!!!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• well this is a herd one but just watch closly. maybe just do a nose check every once in a while throughout the day. my nephew once stuffed a cotton ball up his nose and noone noticed for about a week and by that time the reason they noticed is because it smelled rotton from infection. he ended up in the hospital for 2 days getting iv antibiotics. although it is hard to stop because no matter how hard we try to watch a 2 year old 24/7 we still miss a few things.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• what horrror stories... thanks :)
    i've been able to get everything out (i hope) but he is getting a bloody nose from it.
    keeping a close watch on him and i told him i'd p'atch (yiddish, for a spanking) him if he puts anything up his nose again, so we'll wait and see....
    thanks again
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:38 PM on Nov. 19, 2009