Why so hung up on words? (Marriage vs Civil Union)

Assuming in all states; these both would entitle you to the same privilages.

Really? I'd like to know. I've seen some say they don't support Gay Marriage but they don't mind Civil-Union's. What is the difference to you; and why does it matter?

I'm am not religious; will not be "married" in a Church or by any member of any clergy; but by a Notary (which is legal in our state). My SO is a man; we have two natural born children. I could give a rats ass if someone wanted to say we had a Civil Union and not a marriage ceremony since it was a secular event rather than a religious one.

And if it's not YOUR church preforming said same-sex ceremony; why do you care? What impact does it have on your life?

Honest questions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• As long as EVERYBODY is entitled to the same rights, I couldn't care less what they call it, to be honest. Then again, I'm not one who's against gay marriage to begin with, so yeah...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:41 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Not so much hung up on words as much as I am hung up on the impact of those words according to law and what doors that could open for litigation against clergy that refuse to 'marry' a gay couple.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• QuinnMae, that is just flat out NOT true! Marriage is not a religious ceremony, and churches will never lose the right to refuse to marry gay people... This is about giving gay people the same LEGAL rights straight people have. Separation of state and church, remember? Just because gay people would be able to get married at say... city hall, doesn't mean churches have to do the same thing. Hell, why would gay people want to attend a homophobic institution in the first place?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• God created marriage. God does not approve of same sex relations; he destroyed 2 entire cities (Sodom and Gomorrah) killing everyone in them due laregley to their homosexualit. Therefores, to call a union between two gays a marriage is blasphomy and as a Christian I find it highly offensive. Though I see homosexuality as a sin, it is not my right as a human to judge, that is God's job. So, I do not care at all if they call it a civil union and give them the same rights as all married couples...just don't call it a marriage because it is not a union that God will acknowledge or bless.
    Anonymous

• QuinnMae:
    If I'm not a member of a specific Catholic Church for example; they can refuse to marry me & my SO. The fact that we have children before being married will automatically get us declined by many churchs. Churchs deny people all the time for a wide variety of reasons. Remember the one recently who said he worried about a mixed couples potential bi-racial children having problems in life. People may have found that 'wrong' but it wasn't illegal.
    Anonymous

• I am not against SSM. My comment is really directed at the fact that the wording needs to be very carefully written to protect all parties from future litigation. I don't know why that would be a problem for anyone to understand. While I think that gay people should be able to marry, I also think that churches and institutions that are not in support of gay marriage should not face legal troubles for refusing to marry gay couples. Sorry if you disagree.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Anon 12:52 - there is no discussing things with someone who believes as you. If you believe your god physically/literally destroyed villages; (a) that's not a god I'd like to follow & (b) you're not working from the same base of reality as I am. But thanks for playing.
    Anonymous

• If it's just a term, why not use marriage for all of it? If it has the same benefits, use the same word.
    Anonymous

• ""God created marriage.""

I thought God created people then gave them free will which ended with people creating the "legal" term of marriage? Or is God a lawyer too?
    Anonymous

• You know anon...you are pretty crappy. You want people to respect what you believe and how YOU believe things should be while you MOCK their faith.

there is no discussing things with someone who believes as you. If you believe your god physically/literally destroyed villages; (a) that's not a god I'd like to follow & (b) you're not working from the same base of reality as I am. But thanks for playing.

I refuse to respect YOUR stance and YOUR beliefs if you refuse to respect someone elses.  WAY to teach tolerance. I hear a lot of you on here talking about how Christians are such hypocrites when you are JUST as hypocritical!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2009