Tax question

I have not worked for the last couple years but DH has, do we have to file jointly or can he file alone?

auroura

Asked by auroura at 12:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• I work at an accounting firm. I would be benificial for you to file as a married filing jointly. you will loose out on the deduction if u do not. causing more to pay in taxes.
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 1:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• He can file "married filing separate" but he will loose out on deducting you and psossibly loose out on other deductions if he files that way. Is there some reason you do not want your name on the tax return?
    Anonymous

• It mostly just doesn't make sense to. If I were single I wouldn't file at all, so why should I have to since I am married?
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I just realized I was trying to make sense of a government program... not the smartest thing to do
    auroura

• I don't understand the problem. If you haven't worked, then you don't owe anything. What's the harm in putting your name on the return? If he files Married filing separate, then you will lose out on any married benefit! I would just put your name on it too!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• If you file jointly then you guys will receive a deduction for both of you, plus the kids. If he files by himself, then he can only deduct himself and the kids. So the diffence may mean you lose a couple thousand dollars in your refund.
    Anonymous