Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tax question

I have not worked for the last couple years but DH has, do we have to file jointly or can he file alone?


Asked by auroura at 12:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 4 (39 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • I work at an accounting firm. I would be benificial for you to file as a married filing jointly. you will loose out on the deduction if u do not. causing more to pay in taxes.

    Answer by roxyann76 at 1:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

  • He can file "married filing separate" but he will loose out on deducting you and psossibly loose out on other deductions if he files that way. Is there some reason you do not want your name on the tax return?

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

  • It mostly just doesn't make sense to. If I were single I wouldn't file at all, so why should I have to since I am married?

    Answer by auroura at 1:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

  • I just realized I was trying to make sense of a government program... not the smartest thing to do

    Answer by auroura at 1:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

  • I don't understand the problem. If you haven't worked, then you don't owe anything. What's the harm in putting your name on the return? If he files Married filing separate, then you will lose out on any married benefit! I would just put your name on it too!

    Answer by Katt709 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

  • If you file jointly then you guys will receive a deduction for both of you, plus the kids. If he files by himself, then he can only deduct himself and the kids. So the diffence may mean you lose a couple thousand dollars in your refund.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN