for those don't approve of Harry Potter...?

I would love to hear your reasons why.

My mom is a conservative Christian and she thinks Harry Potter is evil but then my brother was a wizard for halloween last year and a devil this year...???

I thought the reason that some people think Harry Potter is "bad" is because it encourages paganism, or makes kids think witchcraft is cool. so what about other things like that, like other wizard things (including Lord of the Rings) etc.

I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't dislike Harry Potter, I just want to hear your views. maybe it will help me understand my mom. lol.

i, btw, am a HUGE HP fan. books especially but also movies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Christian faith also believe that Halloween is the devils night? and thus not allow trick or treating in the first place. (this was how my ex-BIL believed so I'm going off of that)
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• It's a shame that some people feel imagination is something to be stifled.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:57 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i try not to get into any of those things and teach my children the same. we also dont celebrate halloween for the same reason. people are different, but i try not to get into things with pagan roots
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• " but i try not to get into things with pagan roots "

Do you celebrate christmas, with a christmas tree?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• No one ever dropped dead from a person pointing a stick at them and yelling AVADA KEDAVRA!. HP is fiction, does not contain real magic and was written by a Christian woman.

I think zealots got pissy during the HP craze because their children would rather read HP than the Bible. Jealousy disguised as fear for their little, innocent souls plain and simple. Funny how most of them worship the ground C.S. Lewis walked on when his books contained just as much magic.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• but i try not to get into things with pagan roots "

No, i dont.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 1:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• am christian and i love harry potter. my inlawas think is eveil i make fun of them cuz of that lol
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:15 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i'm OP. Thanks for your input ladies. i read a book on Christian fundamentalism and according to it people had the same problem with the Smurfs in the 80s, um if that's when the smurfs were popular. lol.

i guess i feel like proudmomma and feel like it's absolutely fine if you don't like HP but then you also shouldn't like other things like halloween and some of the examples you mentioned. i think my mom just hates hp because someone at church said she should and doesn't really know the reason and that's why she lets my brother dress up like a wizard. lol. i think she knows that a lot of Christians don't do halloween but she just feels to guilty to not let my brother do that...?
    Anonymous

• IMO...
    Those who are against Harry Potter, cannot tell fact from fiction and have lost touch with reality.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• not all of us, i know HP is fiction, but it's fiction that God doesnt want us to get involved with. As a follower of God, i have to obey him. I know the things that he wants from us is beneficial for us. I have a great sense of reality, i just dont like certain things and HP is one of them.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 2:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2009