Do you know the history of adoption?

If not, do your own research. That is how I developed MY opinions.

"Services were geared toward providing the most perfect baby for adoptive applicants."

http://www.researchetcinc.com/historyofadoption.html
http://www.uoregon.edu/~adoption/timeline.html

Southernroots

Asked by Southernroots at 12:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Adoption

• Is this a question if you feel the need to answer it immediately.

Anonymous

• Yes.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 2:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I'm always trying to learn more about adoption and its history. While I realize the past is the past, I think we can not move forward and make progress without learning from the people before us.
    To me its the same as people learning from their mistakes to become better as they go forward with their lives.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Adoption, many years ago, was far different than it is today. For instance, prior to the early 1900's all adoption records were open. And, there were the Orpan Trains....forget exactly when that was, ...but what they did was take orphans, put them on trains, and at every stop, they basically gave the kids to whoever wanted them. Early in the 1900, adoption became a "social experiment"...and adoption records were closed. (in some states, they weren't sealed until around 1970's, I believe, I'd have to look that up). Anyway, the premise was that if a child was adopted at birth or soon after, they would "graft" to the new family much like a plant stem will grow and become part of the plant it is "grafted" to. They figured the child would just naturally become a part of the new family and question their birth. However, they didn't take into account things like heritedy (sp), which can and does affect, CONT.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:55 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• to at least some degree, what a person likes, dislikes, temperment, looks, etc. They thought that sealing the records would protect everyone and the adoptees original family, ancestors and all, would never be an issue in any way, shape or form....because, gee, this child would never question anything. I know this isnt' a very good explanation, but I'm in a hurry because I have to take my son over to help run a belt test....and must get ready to go. (In the previous I meant to say the child would not question their birth)
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:00 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• "While I realize the past is the past, I think we can not move forward and make progress without learning from the people before us."

I agree! I think if we ignore the past, we are apt to repeat our mistakes or the same mistakes that others have made before us. Plus, sometimes it is necessary to analyze what happened in the past and take responsibility for our part in it. I know that at reunion I needed to attempt to make some sense of adoption in general and why I did what I did as well.

Meriana, sounds to me as though you have studied the history of adoption and I think that is great! It is always encouraging to me to find people who are interested in understanding adoption better. The history of adoption can help shed some light on why our current practices came into being.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 1:24 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Things change.
    Anonymous

• Southernroots:

Yeah, I have I guess, studied it a bit. I was adopted at birth, searched for and found my birth family before it became an acceptable thing to do and I was a C.I. for an adoption/birth family reunion/search group. I'm also a genealogist and I have come to the conclusion that you can't really know where you are going until you know from where you came.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 5:37 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• Meriana (slightly off topic) - can you recommend any genealogy websites that are free or inexpensive? I've asked both of my kids' birthfamilies for family trees going back a few generations (even provided the forms) and haven't gotten them. I'd like to help gather a little information for my kids as a gift, just in case they want it someday.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I use Genforum.com, Ancestry.com and U.Sgenweb.com. U.S. Genweb is free, Genforum and Ancestry are not real expensive and there are areas you can use free. Be VERY CAREFUL with what you find on the Internet...there's a lot of good information out there but there is also a lot that is NOT accurate. In genealogy you basically have to start with what you know and work backwards. If you know the b.parents names, ages, maybe birthdates, etc..you can probably find their birth records...marriage records can also be helpful...and once you get back to someone born before 1930, you can start using the Census records. You can also find tons of info thru the Mormon Library...most Mormon churches have a library and you can do interlibrary loans from the main library for a small fee. Remember TO DOCUMENT EVERYTHING....documentation, ie: vital, tax, land, census, and other records are the only way to prove your work is accurate. Good Luck..
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:31 AM on Nov. 23, 2009