Help for toddler congestion...

My 16 month old daughter is so congested she is miserable!! She is completely stopped up in her nose and her chest sounds like a car turning over every time she breaths out. I know she cant have cold meds yet but there must be something else? Some trick I havent tried? I gave her a bath, sucked out her nose and tried baby vicks. Any other suggestions?? I am desperate to help her feel better!

JolieBsMom

Asked by JolieBsMom at 1:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She can have tylenol.
    Anonymous

• give her benadryl. 1 tsp.
    Anonymous

• Nasal saline works wonders! humidifier and vicks on the feet (don't know why but it works) also about the meds. I gave pedia-care at 11 months with the consent of my doc, I just called the pharmacy to check the dose
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Humidifiers do make a difference! Also encourage her to drink water or juice (within reason) to keep the mucus membranes from drying out.
    Loveplusmama

Answer by Loveplusmama at 2:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Tylonal isn't a decongestant, people. Too many people on here use Tylonal as a cure-all. Tylonal is a stops pain and lowers fevers, it doesn't help with congestion at all. A humidifier will help, as it releases moisture into the air allowing the nasal cavaties (and other areas) to unswell. Allowing air and fluids to pass through. You can also do Vicks Vapor Rub on her feet, put socks ontop. I tried this with my son for the first time yesterday and it actually works. Hadn't heard of doing that until the other day. You can also sit with them in the bathroom, door closed, and turn on the shower. Turn on only the hot to let the room steam up. Bring in games for her to play, so she doesn't get bored. The steam will help open her up. You can also do a warm compress on her chest. The steam from that will help open her up too. Also, keep her hydrated with clearn liqueds (like water) to help her from drying out.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Baby vicks! Works wonders and smells good too. My son went through a bad chest cold last year and the vicks saved us! I just put that on his ckest and back after his bath instead of the lotion and it let him finally get some sleep. I would also use more if he got too congested throughout the day. You will have to wash the sheets more often, as it soaks through, but it was well worth the extra water and detergent to get some sleep. Good Luck Mommy!
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 19, 2009