my dad started my son on a bad habit..

my dad gives in to a lot of the things my son wants to do. for example, he let my son pull his stool up to the sink and help him with dishes once. and now my son wants to do this EVERY time my dad is doing dishes. i mean yeah it's fine to have him help out but he makes a giant mess with the water and my dad gets aggravated. and even though i tell him not to let my son do that anymore if it gets him aggravated, he still gives in when my son starts whining or crying. what should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If he lets him, the son will get better at not making a mess. But he can't let him once then not let him the next time. he needs to make a choice.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I started my boys at a young age helping with dishes and they would make a mess too. I would just put them on the "rinsing" side (we don't fill it up, just rinish when that side is full). Then my boys would play with the bubbles and try to rinse them off with a little bit of water. Or we would give him a dry washcloth to use to pretend to wash.

If anything spilt on the floor, he was in charge of cleaning it when we were done.
    54313MomOf4Boys

Answer by 54313MomOf4Boys at 1:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• maybe instead of trying to help you son you could teach your dad a trick for when he gets frustrated.....the turn around and count to 10 works for me.
    Anonymous

• well if your dad wants him to help with the dishes , or wants to included him, he needs to teach him the acceptable way to do it., and if ds wont listen, make your dad lay down the law and stop the activity. tell him to teach his expectations, because teh activity is a new one.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Let them have their time. Why would you want to stop that? Take your dad aside and tell him that he is teaching his grandson a valuable lesson. He just needs to have patience with his grandson. Eventually, your son will learn to do the dishes correctly and him and grandpa can find another activity to do together. BTW, it's water and can be wiped up very easily, something else your son can be taught how to do.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2009