whining or crying when he doesn't get his way.

my son whines or cries anytime he doesn't get what he wants. and ignoring it just seems to make it worse. what should i do about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• nothing, thats KIDS for ya!
    Anonymous

• Whining and crying never hurt a kid. I make DD go to her room if she doesn't calm down after I've told her no. If she wants to throw a fit, she can do it in there.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• keep ignoring it. i also have a rule in my house that since throwing fits and whining are disruptive you are only allowed to do it in your room. that includes me.....if i have an issue where i need to cry i do so in my room.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Thought you were talking about my husband at first, this is just how kids are just don't give in and ignore the whine and cry.
    Anonymous

• have you fed him or her? are they tired? is there something wrong? theres got to be some logic reason why.
    Anonymous

• our rule is we dont want to hear crying or yelling. it is to taken to your room. my 2 year old seems to do well with it she goes to her room for a moment then comes out to tell me she is done.
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i think you shouldnt have to listen to it ... i would get really mad if i had to... i say with the kids that i teach and my own son (4yrs old) that if they are sad and want to cry that is okay... but they cannot cry to try to punish me... they have to go away to do it... so with your son, wh should go to his room if he does it... he can cry that he is upset, but it is wrong for him to try to wear you down into giving in by crying, and never give into it -- that just reinforces the negative behavior. if he starts upping the anney and streams and cries in his room to try to continue to annoy you, buy earplugs, you know he is fine and not in pain and just trying to manipulate, it is one of the most acceptable situations to support the CIO method.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• keep ignoring and if it escalates - say " I don't understand what you are saying please speak clearly'

and you just have to keep on reminding that NO means NO.

Anonymous

• Yes my kids have to go to their room if they want to wine or throw a fit. They are allowed to come out when they calm down, quit crying and apologize. You may have to do this consistently a couple times so he gets use to the routine.

It is an excellent idea to redirect children. Give him something else to do when he is told no. Redirect him with a game, toy etc..

GOOD LUCK!
    virgomother0406

Answer by virgomother0406 at 4:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• When I was in high school~ more years ago than I care to admit! lol I took a parenting class so I could be a preschool teacher. What I learned about dealing with whining is "No attention for bad behavior". and "Catch them being good". Well, I'm not a preschool teacher, but I am a mom and these are 2 of the best lessons I ever learned about dealing with kids!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 5:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2009