What can I give a 17 month old with a cold?

She has a runny nose, Cough, and now diarhea. She got it from me, I thought I had a sinus infections but its been well over a week now. Neither of us have fevers. Is there any childrens meds that are safe for a 17 month old to have to get rid of this?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 1:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• infant tylenol
    Anonymous

• Nothing, unless the doctor tells you to. Call your doctor ASAP, don't give anything without talking to him/her, there could be more to it, and if it's been going on that long your child should be seen.
    Anonymous

• It's not unheard of for a cold to last 10-14 days...the diarrhea could be from her drainage, however if that's been going on a long time, it's worth a call to the pedi to make sure she's getting enough fluids and not getting dehydrated. Unfortunately, aside from fluids, love, rest and a humidifier, there's not much you can do, except tylenol or motrin for pain.
    Anonymous

• Really isnt' much you can do. I would check with your doctor but I suspect they're going to tell you the same thing. You can add a probiotic (which you can get in capsule form at health food stores) and add it to food or drink. Might help with the diarrhea. (That's what our doctor's office recommended.)
    Anonymous

• Hmm. . . I'd go with saline drops, humidifier, and elevated the head of the bed for the runny nose, oh maybe add a little vaseline or lanolin under the nose to keep it from getting chapped. Cough, I've heard baby vick helps (I've never used it) I like Honey (a natural cough suppressant) or real warm peppermint tea. For the diarrhea I'd go with the BRATY diet (bananas, rice, applesauce(not juice which loosens the bowels), toast, and yogurt). Push the fluids (no apple or pear juice) white grape juice, pedilite, water. . . . skip the fruit punches and the extra sugar because these can loosen bowels too.

Also, like others have said, if this has been going on for a week you should at least call the doctor.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2009