How do you know when your child is ready for a toddler bed?

i have a 10 month old little boy. And we are about to move to a new place. So Im trying to decide if I should buy him a big boy bed(toddler) or leave him in his baby bed for a while longer. I am new to being a mother and dont know when you can transfew him to a big boy bed. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!

RegenaSeaborn

Asked by RegenaSeaborn at 1:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i moved my daughter to a toddler bed when she started climbing out of her crib....if shes going to get out anyway i guess the toddler bed is safer....less distance to fall.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• You can do it whenever you want to. We moved ours to a twin bed at 15 months. We were tired of them banging around in the crib...they were almost at the height limit anyway.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I moved my son into a toddler bed when he was about 11-12 months, I figured better he fall out of bed then from over the crib.
    Juicy_Mom_of_2

Answer by Juicy_Mom_of_2 at 1:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• my son is 19 m/o and not in a bed yet, but it has been set up. I tried the transition a few times and he just isnt ready. he kept getting up to play and after many attempts to bring him back to the bed, I threw in the towel, laid him in his crib and he fell right asleep. it isnt really an "age" thing but when they are ready! if he has become a climber, especially trying to climb out of the crib, that is a good time to try the transition. and I have read from many moms to make it a really big deal. if he likes trucks, buy all new fitted sheets with a truck pattern, if he can only sleep with a crib musical toy, attach it to the bed...things like that!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I tried it right at a year and wish I hadn't of. I would suggest waiting a bit, a few months is the difference between them understanding staying in bed and not doing so. It was a huge headache when he didn't get it yet. at about 15 months it started to click for him but those three months were HELL
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• my son is 2 and still in a crib. we are thinking about switching him soon but i read that the AAP recommends waiting to 3 unless they climb out first just because they can get out at night and get into all sort of trouble. lol. and my son just learned how to open the front doors with the safety knobs. those are only meant for supervised kids so... now i'm nervous about it still. :) personally, i would wait a while. but some moms do switch that early.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• oh i think we will switch him soon and put up a gate in the hall so he can't get in the bathroom or to the front door! my little brother went outside before while my parents were sleeping!!!!! snuck right out when he was just like 2. so now i'm scared my son will do the same...
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• when my son tried to get out of his crib by climbing out the top it scared me half to death so thats when i decided it was time to make the change. my second just turned 10 months and i can tell you u can definately wait. i think my son was almost 2 before i made the change. also... when it is time to make the change check and see if your crib changes into a bed. i know that mine you can take the front of of so they can climb in and out safely and that will save you a little more time before having to buy a toddler bed. i would say though that at 10 months it is too soon
    wtigers83

Answer by wtigers83 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 20, 2009