For those of you who have your own business....

How did you get your name and product out there? I have an etsy account for my items but I would like to sell my things to local shops or start doing custom orders for people. I'm just wondering how other people got their businesses up and running. Thanks!

txmom1021

Asked by txmom1021 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• Custom order you can make an ad in craigslist or you local news paper. I don't know what you do but I bake. So i go to craft shows and sell my stuff and give out my business cards. It works.
    Anonymous

• We has an accountant help set up our business. We are word of mouth only. 

Anonymous

• Bizymoms.com has great info for that kind of business!
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 1:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Try offering samples to shops around town that sell your kind of product. Give it to them to try for free, to see if it sells; or you can see if they'd be willing to do a consignment (where they take your product and you get paid your portion if it sells, or you get the product back if it doesn't). Go talk to people.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I go to networking events, like from the local chamber of commerce.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Also if you are selling a craft type product you get look into vending at local Craft Shows, even if it's just Church and school shows you can do very well. If you want local gift shops to carry your items spend a day, dress professionaly and drive to the locations, speak to the owner, give them a sample product and a flyer with wholesale costs of them.

Or look into getting a kiosk in a local mall. Advertise localy by hosting an open house with your products on display and for sale. Offer free products to those who get you orders. Get a car magnet for your vehicle advertising your items, go to networking events in your area, as a PP suggested. When you do get orders give business cards with each order or even a few flyers for them to give to friends and family.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2009