Any who has been induced and NOT had an epidural

Is there anyone who has been induced and NOT gotten an epidural? Induction is so much more painful that I'm wondering what my odds are for caving and asking for the drugs.

mom22littlegirl

Asked by mom22littlegirl at 1:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was induced for all 3 babies and never had an epidural. Hurt like hell but I wouldn't have done it anyother way.
    Anonymous

• I did it :) Yeah, it was painful. But YOU CAN DO IT! I was induced AND I was stuck in bed (whch also makes contractions hard) and I made it. You'll want to have good labor support and people who know your desires for your birth around you, and you'll want someone who can talk you out of pain meds if you start thinking you want them. Just remember, RELAX, keep upright as much as possible and just when you think you can't take it any more... you don't have to. If you want to talk PM me :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I was induced with my 3rd baby and didn't have an epidural. I thought I would have one but didn't need it. I had been sick and the induction was because the doctors believed my life was in danger and I would get better after the pregnancy was over. I was very weak, had pneumonia among other things, and broken ribs.

I had IVs in both arms and the monitor and labored sitting up for about 9 hours. They checked me and I don't remember how far I was but we thought it was going to be hours more. I decided to try and sit/lay on my left side. I got over in the new position and it felt like I was ready to push. I told them the baby was coming. A quick look and the nurse saw I was right. The doctor was just down the hall and came running. I moved back into semi-sitting and the doctor caught my son as he came sliding out. I gave only a half push.

My induction wasn't that bad. My son was 6 lb 3 oz. My biggest baby was 7 lb 6 oz.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Yep, thats what I did too. No epidural. It was extremely uncomfortable. But I didn't get to delivery, things didn't move quick enough so they sent me home after 10 hours. I think if I'd had the opportunity to get the epidural, things could have relaxed and we could have been done. I ended up going into natural labor on my own a few hours after I got home. One of my daycare friends was induced for 13 hours and then they gave her the epidural and she delivered within two hours. You have to do what you want. I think they would give you the chance to change your mind even if in the beginning you said you didn't want one. Good Luck!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 2:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i read some birth stories that are like ads for hypnobabies (lol). there is a section for induction. you have to really prepare for that though and practice a LOT. is there a medical need for induction? if not and you want a natural birth, just say NO. if yes, then go in it with an open mind. it's hard to know what the pain will be like until you are there. just try not to expect the pain to be horrible because then it will be. gl momma! here's the link for those stories.

http://www.pregnancybirthandbabies.com/induction_birth_stories.htm
    Anonymous

• I was induced for medical resons, and I did not have an epidural. Since it was my first child, I don't know if the pain I felt was normal or not...but it was quite painful. Lamaze really helps you learn to breathe through the contractions. I wish I'd gone to some classes. Many times I would hold my breath when going through a contraction, which only made the pain worse.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Let me add: if you need the epidural, don't feel bad about it, and don't let others make you feel bad about it. It's YOUR body, not their's. The epidural is safe for you and the child (otherwise they wouldn't offer it to you). Only you know your pain tolerance.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• The epidural is safe for you and the child (otherwise they wouldn't offer it to you).

well obviously there are risks and it's not 100% safe, but overall i agree with fallaya
    -anon 2:17
    Anonymous