did your husband....

live on his own prior to get married? how long? with or with out roommates? do you think it helped him be a better husband?

if your husband did not live on his own - do you think it hindered him as a husband?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My hubby was 18 when we married...well he still is 18..I hate his mother, but to him his mother can do no wrong...
    Anonymous

• My SO ( we aren't married) lived with his mom until we moved in together. He is the biggest momma's boy I have ever met and he is spoiled rotten. I love him anyway but I think had he lived on his own it would have helped him grow up.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• he is 6 yrs older than me, i met him when i was 19... he had been on his own for 7 yrs. yes i think that helps him to be a mature person.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Hubby lived in the dorms in college, in an apartment with a roommate in law school, and on his own when we met. Yes it helpped a TON. He knows how to do every chore, how to do laundry, how to iron, how to cook, how to grocery shop, how to budget, etc. I am a sahm and he fully understands all that it takes to keep a home clean, working, stocked, and is very grateful that I can do all of that AND raise 3 great kids. He helps when he sees I'm over whlemed and is fine with it.

I think it makes for a smoother transition when you marry a "man" instead of a boy.
    Anonymous

• My husband is 9 years older than I am, so he has lived in many situations. He lived with roommates, then with a girlfriend. When we met, he lived alone, in a beautiful home that he bought with a family in mind. He had been living on his own for about 6 months, and I do think it makes him a better husband. He was responsible for all the household duties, including bills, cleaning and maintenance, so when we got married, and I moved in, he was already used to taking care of things, and it was no problem to split the household duties. To this day he still helps me with our son, the laundry, cooking, dishes, etc. It's never a fight as to who does what. I am SAHM by day, and college student by night, so I take care of most the chores during the day while my husband works. On the weekends he always pitches in to help me so that we both get a break. Independent living was great for him and our relationship.
    SgtsWife1982

Answer by SgtsWife1982 at 1:58 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My hubby lived alone as a hermit for 6 years before we got together. He is a wonderful caring kind loving husband , and actually likes being around people now
    Anonymous

• My hubby was on his own for almost 10 years before we met. He had had roommates in college and then lived on his own after that. I think it has been good for us, because he knows how to take care of things. He takes care of all the house stuff.

It is tough tho, because for a long time he would feel frustrated because we were always together. He wanted some alone time. We eventually came to a really good solution. He has a man cave. We have a 2 bedroom place and the second bedroom is his....until we have our first little one. Then everything changes. But he knows what to expect at that point. He knows that his man cave will go away. I think he will be ok with it by then. We have lived together for almost 3 years now, so he is finally used to me being there all the time. :)
    KnottyNikki

Answer by KnottyNikki at 2:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My husband was 30 when we married. He joined the military when he was 18 and after getting out at the age of 24 he got an apartment and lived on his own while he put himself through college. He is very self suficient as a result of his time living alone. We've been married 11 years and he does his own laundry (because he's used to it and wants to). If I'm busy with the house and the kids and don't get around to cooking, my husband will fix himself something to eat without complaint and without asking what's available to eat.

Also, I lived on my own without roommates for 3 years before we married. My time on my own made me a better wife than I would have been if I hadn't had to learn to take care of myself, do all my own chores, learn to live on a budget, etc.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My SO went to boarding school for most of his HS years, then lived alone and with his cousin until we met, when he was 25 and I was 21. Then we moved in together. I was the first girl he lived with but being on his own (except for living with his cousin as roommates) for so long really helped, he knows how to take care of business!
    Anonymous

• LOL. Good question. My hubby lived w/ his mom in the apt. across the hall from mine. Then he moved in w/ me. Yeah, I think that it hindered him a bit, as far as responsibility and maturity go. We've been together now, almost 9 yrs., married 3, we have 2 kids together, 3 total, and he still can't handle money, and paying bills on time. sigh.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 2:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2009