Did your young son ever go through a phase when he didn't want you to touch his penis?

My son (2 yrs old), for the past week or so, has gotten progressively worse about letting me touch his penis when I change his diaper. At first, it was just sometimes, and it seemed like it might have been because the wipe was cold. But yesterday and today it's gotten to where he doesn't want me to touch his penis at all; he'll start crying and push my hand away and shield himself if I get to close to it. He doesn't mind the diaper on it, though, and he doesn't have a problem wiping himself, it's just when someone else touches his penis. I took him to the doctor, and the pedi said that there's nothing indicating a reason for tenderness (no rash or redness, and my son didn't mind the pedi messing with his penis through the diaper), so it's probably a behavioral phase.

Has anyone else gone through something similar? How long did it take your son to grow out of it, if he did?

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 2:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Maybe he's just at that age ow "awareness" that it's a private body part. When I was three, my dad tried to make me get a bath, and I refused to take off my night gown in front of him, I guess because I was just aware at that age.
    Anonymous

• It's his penis and if there's no problem then leave it alone. You said he will wipe it, so let him.
    Anonymous

• Just ignore it. Kids go through phases. Right now my 3 year old won't keep his hands out of his pants.

We just tell him to go to his room if he wants to do that.

Kids just do weird stuff for no reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Dec. 20, 2009