Did your son ever go through a phase when he didn't want you to touch his penis?

My son (2 yrs old), for the past week or so, has gotten progressively worse about letting me touch his penis when I change his diaper. At first, it was just sometimes, and it seemed like it might have been because the wipe was cold. But yesterday and today it's gotten to where he doesn't want me to touch his penis at all; he'll start crying and push my hand away and shield himself if I get to close to it. He doesn't mind the diaper on it, though, and he doesn't have a problem wiping himself, it's just when someone else touches his penis. I took him to the doctor, and the pedi said that there's nothing indicating a reason for tenderness (no rash or redness, and my son didn't mind the pedi messing with his penis through the diaper), so it's probably a behavioral phase.

Has anyone else gone through something similar? How long did it take your son to grow out of it, if he did?

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 2:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you started potty training yet? Maybe it's time and he's sick of the whole diaper ordeal
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 2:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I think it's normal for kids to go through this. Although I've never heard any reports on it. My son does the same thing in a way. He gets very upset when I lay him down to change his diaper, and the fit starts before I even get his diaper off. The second I lay him down he'll turn onto his side away from me and cry. I turn him back over and he'll kick and scream and try to get me away from him. When I get the diaper off he calms down a little, but it's more into the diaper change until he calms down completely. He doesn't do it every diaper change, but it is more often then most. He doesn't have a fit when the doctor checks down there, but when the hubbs and I do it he has a royal fit. More with me then my husband. I have believe it has to do with that being HIS area, and he doesn't want anyone else down there. I guess.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2009