keeping track of contractions?

i'm 37 1/2 weeks and alraedy dialated to a 2. my stomach has been tightening hard a bit today. should i be keeping track of those or just the ones that are really annoying?

Asked by Ambreelulu at 9:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I'd keep track of anything you think feel like contractions, at least if they seem consistent. I went into pre-term labor at 33 weeks, I had NO clue what contractions felt like, but thought I might be having them and started timing them, they were 3 min. apart at the point that I was able to feel them!

Answer by dedicatedrider at 9:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I don't think at this point I'd tie myself down to timing them. It can make for a looong night. I'd just keep an eye on it. When you're in labor, you'll know it ;)

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• You can be dialated to 2 cm for a while. You may even go up to 4 before you start really having contractions.

The tightening you feel is your body getting ready. But don't get overly excited just yet. It could be days or weeks before you go into true labor.

You'll know when you have a real contraction. There will be no doubt in your mind. For me, when I have a contraction, nothing else exists. I can't talk, I can't open my eyes, etc. All I can do is focus on the contraction and breathe/moan. It sounds worse than it is. lol They're just that intense.

Answer by amethystrse at 9:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I say only start timing them once they hurt!!

Answer by jenntysmom at 9:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• well this is my second kid but i don't remember having the tightening feeling last time.

Answer by Ambreelulu at 9:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Those sound like BH contractions. Don't start timing them until they feel more like period cramps.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I am almost 34 weeks pregnant and am having contractions and braxton hicks more than I did with my daughter, I asked my doctor and he said you can have up to 6 in one hour....anymore than that, I should contact them...hope that helps.

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 9:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• when I was in the hospial giving birth i had contractions 1 min or less apart and some that over laped they say that how meny doent mater its the pain that matters its much like your worst cramps but in a shotting manner and then it passes but just be ready to go to the hospital at any moment. I diolated fast they didnt believe me so if they send you home and you are haveing the tighting more often listen to your body and dont worry that your are bugging the doctors and actual labor for me... well excuse me but it felt like a uncommfertable poop that wasnt doing to be able to hold but in reality my babys head was peeking i was at +2 cm from 4 cm last checking

Answer by vidasmama at 11:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• oh and i was 37wk and one day preg. but induced so that may have alot to do with my sitcuation

Answer by vidasmama at 11:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2008