2010 CA Protection of Marriage Act: Safeguarding marriage from the evils of divorce

If you oppose gay marriage, do you also support this or are you just a hypocrite?

RescueMarriage.org is the brain-child of concerned Christian and political activist John Marcotte, who felt strongly that Prop 8 did not go far enough in protecting traditional marriage. With the help of attorney’s and friends, Marcotte is attempting to ban divorce in the State of California.

http://rescuemarriage.org/

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I can't believe some people don't get this.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Whoa those are giant links :)

I watched the public service announcement #1 LOL what a joke. I don't think people should be forced to stay in a bad or failing marriage. I cant see anything productive coming from a home where the parents were forced to stay together. What is it that good old Dr. Phil says? Kids would rather be from a broken home than live in one. Now you may not like Dr.Phil, but you cant disagree with the logic of that statement.

I agree that you should have to earn your way out of a marriage, but forcing people to stay together is illogical and antiquated thinking.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 2:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Well, I'm divorced, and If I wasn't i'd probably be dead.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• yikes...

while i do think divorce is awful for everyone involved & should be the very last thing anyone thinks of doing (except battered spouses) this is crazy! even w/in the Christian religion divorce is allowed (under specific circumstances) so outlawing it goes against what Jesus said (im assuming this guy is a Christian).

i dont like how common divorce has gotten nor do i like how so many ppl seem to not value their marriage, but outlawing it is a little ridiculous & will prolly never happen.

also, that last link is the worst "Jesus still loves you if you get a divorce-just not as much as before"...ouch.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Glad I divorced my cheating ex before this nutcase got to trying to ban divorce! This won't go far and I am pretty sure the current mandate will be overturned. In reality, no one person has the right to dictate the perameters of a consensual adult relationship to fit their personal will or opinion.

PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 3:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I agree that you should have to earn your way out of a marriage, but forcing people to stay together is illogical and antiquated thinking.

You realize every single argument in those videos is used, word for word, to defend opposing gay marriage?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• "Kids would rather be from a broken home than live in one. "

my DH says this every time this topic is brought up. his parents divorce was really hard on him, but he says it was better than living w/ all the yelling & fighting.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• You realize every single argument in those videos is used, word for word, to defend opposing gay marriage?

Yes, but I didnt agree with the video. Where did I say I agreed with the video(s)? Earning your way out of a marriage, and being forbidden from divorcing are two different things. The bill is calling for banning divorce, and I could never back that proposal

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 3:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2009