how do you ween a baby off the bottle?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You take it away and don't give in. Or either you can only give it at night or nap time, but don't let him have it any other time during the day, then slowly wean him off of using it during nap time. You can do it gradually, or all at once. See which one works best. I took my sons away all at once and he was fine.
    Anonymous

• I let kids have the bottle until they are ready to give it up. My son had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up in December; he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."

http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/15/4/2-a
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2009