What would you start off with first? (Eating healthy)

If you were to go to the store what little things would you get to help get started sometimes I get so over whelmed with what is out there. What would be the basics.

All this time I was eating white enriched bread so I slowly switched to wheat buns (we were having hamburgers that night) anyway I just saw the color and the name it said wheat...well 1 week later I noticed it too said enriched wheat bread damn it and here I thought I was making a difference :( Sometimes I just don't feel like caring....not really though. What little change would you do? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I try to decrease the amount of fat added to anything. I find if I look for things that are lower in fat than others then they are usually healthier. We have lettuce salads every evening with our meal and always have a vege. I always keep cut up fruits and veges in fridge and also string cheese.
    Anonymous

• If you are going to change your family's diet - start off slow.

I would start by adding a fresh fruit and vegitable with every meal. No canned fruit or veggies and dont drown the food in cheese, butter, etc. Get them used to the REAL flavors. You can enhance with a 'little' olive oil, salt & peper.

Then you can slowly move to whole grains.

etc.
    Anonymous

• if you use canned vegetables anything, drain and rinse them.. it cuts back on the amount of sodium intake. The bread I always liked was Brownberry whole wheat, they even have a double fiber one.. if you usually make a sandwich with 2 pieces of bread.. you only need one of the double fiber.. it fills you up fast! Cut back on simple carbohydrates and simple sugars. Stick to fruit, whole wheat or whole grain, and use honey instead of sugar. Beware of sugar-free foods! They contain sugar alcohol.. very very bad for you. Switch all oils to extra virgin olive oil. It is said you need 2 tablespoons a day (no don't take it like medicine but use it in cooking) Use herbs and spices to flavor your food, they as well as garlic have no calories! Yay! Also, check out this site, I got a some great recipes from it!!! http://www.mylifetime.com/on-tv/shows/cook-yourself-thin/recipes.. even if you're not trying to lose weight, they show you
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 3:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• simple ways to replace unhealthy ingredients for healthier ones! BTW, the roast chicken with roasted veggies is amazing!!! Hope this helps!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 3:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I really find eating as if you were a diabetic is great & you will not only be eating healthy but will lose weight. Eat every 2 hours no matter what. Pretzels,popcorn & Lots of fresh veggies & fresh fruit. I used to think that wheat was better for you but i am hearing more & more people say they have to eat gluten free. I try not to eat too much starch.
    Jodie269

Answer by Jodie269 at 8:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• You need to learn to read labels. The first ingredient on a bread label should be whole wheat.

Start with simple changes. First, drink your water! At least 8 8oz glasses a day. Add a glass for every beverage you have with caffeine or alcohol.
    Next, eat your fruits and veggies; 7-8 servings a day, in at least 3 different colors. Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Start replacing your white/simple grains (white rice, white pasta, white bread, you get the picture) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, barley, quinoa, whole grain bread, etc.).
    Now cut way back on (or eliminate) meat and dairy. Eat at least one serving of legumes a day: beans, lentils, tofu, etc.

If you would like some recipes, send me a message offlist.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:56 AM on Nov. 20, 2009