holiday w/ family and nb

My dd is due on dec 8th via c-section. We want to spend the holidays with our family but this means exposing a 3 week old baby to about 30 people. Do you think I should restrict who gets to hold her? If so, will I look like a crazy mom? There are going to be a couple little cousins and many aunts, uncles, and grandparents at both my parents house and then again at my husband's parents house. Honestly, staying home is not an option and I'm not sure if asking ppl not to hold her is either. What do you think?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 3:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My sister is due Dec. 10. She already told us to count her out of the holidays this year. See how it goes. Maybe you can sneak out early. You can't really tell people they can't hold her.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I would let the baby decide! If she's content at being passed around then let anybody who wants to (and who you feel comfortable with) hold her. However, I would make sure that noone who is a smoker holds her and that everyone washes their hands prior to touching her. Also keep her away from those that have any symptoms of illness!
    If she gets cranky, just take her back!
    Just a side note - you might not want people to hold her when the time comes! I know when I first brought my DS home I didn't want anyone to hold him but me and DH. I let others do it - but I was a bit anxious about it until I had him back in my arms!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I'm just worried about illness and smoke. And I really don't want the little kids with their sticky/germie hands touching her a lot.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 3:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• at the very least, bring one of hand disinfecting bottles, like purell, and plop it on the table. they will get the hint :) and I would just do your best to keep the visit brief, and make sure anyone that is sick stays the heck away from her!

if you start to feel like your being a little over-protective, that's okay! you have a 3 week old baby! it is normal!

also - staying home IS an option, as well as not letting people hold her. stand your ground! it might seem a little weird to your relatives at first, but if that's what you feel is best for your baby, that is your choice as a mother, and they should respect that. i know some families can make it pretty hard though.
    SavvyMomma1809

Answer by SavvyMomma1809 at 3:38 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I didn't take my dd out of the house until after a month, the doctor reccomends it b/c of their immune system. If that's not an option then expose her to everyone and everything and see what happens, you know people are going to want to hold her and kiss her and see her so that's what you have to deal with.
    Anonymous

• please be careful with swine flu and everything going around. i wouldnt bring my son out until he at least got his first shots. if you do go, you should limit who holds her, but thats going to be really hard to do.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2009