Are these signs that my daughter could be getting ready to start her period? She is only 9

She is starting to get pimples for the past 6 mos. and has hair under her arms, not so much pubic though. And she has pains sometimes around the ovary region.

I always thought 9 was to young to start.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I started mine when I was 10. I do remember only having a few pubic hairs. I started at 10 and didn't have another period for 1 year. GL
    Anonymous

• That's not to early. Some young girl hit puburty early. Maybe have a talk with your daughter so she is prepared?
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 9:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• It is within reason for puberty to be hitting- I got my period when I was 10. I would make sure you talk to her so she knows what to expect just in case.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• 9 is not too early. I just got my daughter, who is 9, that American Girl book. She pretended like she was not interested, but has been reading it for days now. Time to get her prepared, mama.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:12 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• 8/9-18 is normal range, I remember them having "the talk" with us in 5th grade (i was 10), most girls were 11, some even 12 and a lot had their period already. It varies by race how early girls start AND genetics (if you started early, chances will she will too).
    Anonymous

• I started at age 9, and my mom at 10. My girls will know by ages 7 and 8 at the latest (2 and 3 right now). Get her ready. My 12 yr old sons voice is already changing, and he no longer looks like a little kid.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:54 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I started my period at 9. Started developing pubic/underarm hairs and breasts at age 7. It's really not surprising, especially considering the growth hormones injected into cows.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 5:52 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• My oldest just started wearing a bra, she has already gone in the dark tunnel of puberty I am waiting for her period to start any time now. Scary, and i am not prepared at all.
    canthaveboys1

Answer by canthaveboys1 at 5:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• It could very well be signals. Kids these days seem to be going through puberty much earlier. In my personal experience I did not get my period till age 13, but had all the signs since 11 or 12. My mom had gotten her period at age 11. my oldest daughter got her 1st period at 12 but it was about 3 months before she got another . She is now almost 15, but on the smaller/skinnier side not "very" developed. Then agian my 9 yr twin DDs have said kids their age have already started and seem to be very developed. It is very likely your daughter may be starting soon, I would start preparing her. My suggestion is that American Girl book "The Care and Keeping of You" (can be bought on Amazon or soemthing). It will help her feel prepared andexplains everythingat an approprite understandable level. GOOD LUCK!
    xomommy25

Answer by xomommy25 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I also recommend "The Care and Keeping of You" for your daughter. My daughter has read and re-read that book. It's been very helpful to her and has given her a way to ask questions to me about growing up.

My daughter's doctor said that girls today are starting about one year before their moms did. So, if you started around 10, she could be getting ready to start.

Good luck!
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2009