dialated?

how/ when do you know you're dialated and how many cm? might be a stupid question but i really have no idea, my doctor is a jackass who hasn't taught me shit about pregnancy and i've only got like 4 weeks left. soooo just wondering! thanks mamas =)

SammyJoB

Asked by SammyJoB at 3:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Usually you don't know when you have unless the doctor tells you. I don't know how to check myself unless others do. Sometimes when you have contractions you will dilate.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 3:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Only the doctor can tell you when he checks.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• You know because your caretaker (or you, if you're skilled and a little flexible) does a vaginal exam and checks your cervix.

Doctors don't have the time to give you a full course on pregnancy, unfortunately. They have so many patients that they just can't spend the kind of time you need him to with you. You have to ask specific questions and educate yourself by reading or taking a childbirth education course. Pick up a book like What to Expect when You're Expecting and read it cover to cover before your due date. You'll learn a lot :) Or I would be happy to answer any questions you have :)

Good luck, mamma!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• No stupid questions! ;-)

You can know by being examined, but it doesn't matter. No need to bother with it!

It's getting late, but you can still prepare yourself for birth.

There are online articles I can share if you'd like, even online birth classes.

You might especially like a birth doula, she will really help you in the end of pregnancy, through labor, and after. So if you have a bad doctor and don't know what's up, you'll have a birth class teacher there with you, applying only what applies in the moment.

;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I just went to the doctor today I'm 36 weeks and dialated 1 cm. Doctors are different they do things at different times, at your next appointment ask him to check.
    Anonymous

• you can always ask your doctor questions you know. i wonder why you have stayed with this doctor if you don't like him?

your doctor can check your cervix to see how dilated it is but it's not necessary and actually can cause infection, so you can ask him to, or not to, depending on your preferences.

doctors generally don't make it a part of their job to teach about pregnancy. but there are some good pregnancy books out there :)
    Anonymous

• you dont know, when the doctor checks your cervix he will know. also is not the doctors main job tp teach you about pregancy, thats why they are books and alot of pregnacy websites. have you evr asked him about dialation and what it is?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2009