I asked this question in the 13-17 group...

Has anyone done the 'passport to purity' discussion guide with thier daughter?

this is the biblical view to talk to your kids about sex and dating.

I am a little suprised at the mom's who are not pushing abstinence.

New2Florida

Asked by New2Florida at 3:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 1 (-12 Credits)
  • I encourage absitnance, but teach my kids all about sex, their bodies, diseases and protection. You can't pick and choose what they learn. The best decision is an INFORMED decision. It has been proven high and low that abstinance only education does not work.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 4:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I personally do not believe abstinence is a smart way to teach them- I don't think it really works. I live in Utah and there are plenty of teen moms, and that is what they teach here...
    I tried to look up info on 'passport to purity' and could not find anything...
    I have talked to my daughter about all kinds of things and at this point (she is 16) she wants NO part of sex.
    Anonymous

• Why just The Daughters? Why not the sin's to.
    I do not think it is a realistic idea. To push abstanance on a teen.
    Having a talk about all part of sex is better. If they do have sex, birthcontrol.

Answer by louise2 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• meant Son

Answer by louise2 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Louis,passport to purity is a weekend retreat they have a cd set for son's too. at the end you can choose to do a promise ring (or maybe something else for a son) either way you are holding them accountable. Not all teens have sex. I wish my mom had talked more about abstinence to me and maybe i would have waited - just knowing how much it meant to her for me not to have it would have been enough for me.
    New2Florida

Answer by New2Florida at 3:38 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• oh please
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Well, my daughter is WAY too young, but no - I won't be giving any Biblical talks when it comes to the birds & the bees. I won't be "pushing" abstinence with my kids either.

I will encourage them to wait until they are mature enough to handle the responsibilities involved & will be very blunt (already am) about pregnancy, childbirth, childcare, STDs, etc. I'll STRONGLY encourage condoms, but will not put my daughter on hormonal birth control under any circumstances.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i wont be pushing absitnence, i wnat my kids to know that sex has its bad side not just cuz God said to wait. thats not good enough i got that God said so and so did dh and we hada lot of sex before marriage. my mom want open to us about sex and guees what my two sisters eneded up bieng teen moms,. i think the whole save yourself formarriage is good but is not for everyone.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• No and I never will.  My daughters are armed with information about their bodies, sex, contraception, std's and abortion.  They know I don't have a problem with pre-marital sex but I will not tolerate promiscuity. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• That sounds pretty neat is this only for a certain religion. I am definitely gonna teach abstinence to my children. I was a teenage mother to my oldest ds. I am happy that I don't have to teach them anything yet, but I have an idea as to how I am gonna talk to them about it.
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 4:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2009