Is thirteen years too many??????

My husband (37) and I (35) are considering having another child..... however our son is 12 and would be around 13 for the new baby. My son has no problem with this and thinks he'll be the greatest brother in the world.LOL. What are your thoughts on such an age gap? I'd like to hear from any moms in a similar situation.... is it harder now that your older or easier now that your wiser???? Thanks Mommas!!!!

kittkatt9674

Asked by kittkatt9674 at 3:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• My oldest and youngest are 10 years apart. They are very close. They have a great relationship and I have a built in babysitter. I say go for it!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• my oldest is 17 and youngest is 8 months old

I say go for it
    Anonymous

• My husband has a brother that is 13 years younger to the day (yes, strangely enough they have the same birthday!) and they got along great. He helped out with watching and taking care of him a lot and they have a great relationship. I'd say go for it if that is what you want!
    ButterflyMeli

Answer by ButterflyMeli at 3:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• By the time the youngest is old enough to remember anything, your oldest will be grown and not really remember the older sibling as living at home. basically the oldest and youngest will be only children.

You and your DH will be in your late 50's when the baby is 18-20 years old. You will be trying to send him/her to college and save for your retirement at the same time. Will you be able to do that?

Answer by louise2 at 3:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My dh is 28 and has a 16 yr old brother and a 10 yr old sister...they are all very close. I say go for it :) My mil was 39 when she had her youngest.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 3:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I am 13 years older then my youngest sister & I wouldn't intentionally plan my family that way. Of course I love my sister, she's my favorite actually but, I'm 26 I have a 4 y/o we live in different towns & it's just really hard to have the kind of sisterly relationship I would like. I feel more like an aunt. She feels like an only child. My other sister is only 18 months younger than me. Because I was older I was able to help a lot with the baby so that was good. But, our lives are very seperate & I wish they weren't. That is just my expereince, though.
    Anonymous

• my friend became an older siter at 18. it scared her and she said she wil nver have kids lol
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My oldest is 15, and youngest is 4.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 4:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I have 8 kids the youngest is 2 1/2 weeks and the oldest is 18, but my kids are in two sets..the older ones are 18, 2 are 17, 16, then my next set is 8, 5, 3 and then the baby.
    But I have to add that I am 37 and have an 18 year old sister and a 16 year old brother, while we aren't super close we are close (they live in another state).

My oldest kids are pretty good with the little ones, they have thier moments..they're teens, the little ones hang the moon and stars on the older ones, and it is a very unique relationship to watch. I wouldn't trade it for the world!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:33 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My children are 13months apart, so I can't comment on how difficult or easy it will be. However, I do believe that if all involved agree that it is right, then it is right. Go ahead and have that second child if your family thinks it's best to have another one. Your son is old enough where he'll be able to help out with the new baby as well. Which, I would think, would make it easier on you and your husband.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2009