couple arrested for not leaving a tip at a restaurant - would you leave a tip if it was the worst service ever??

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local-beat/Time-In-Prison--70426052.html?yhp=1

Whats w/ a mandatory tip anyway? If the service is aweful, i believe we should have a choice to tip.

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 3:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:41 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I see that this was a case where the tip was included as part of the bill, so it wasn't really a tip, to my way of thinking, but an additional charge, and they refused to pay the additional charge. I think it was overboard to cuff them, and I am glad to see the article says it will likely not hold up in court.

Answer by Bmat at 3:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Mandatory = have to.

Answer by louise2 at 3:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• hope it doesnt hold up in court. the owner of the pub should be fined for wasting the cops & courts time. the pub is also gonna get a ton of bad press for having such awful service that they'd rather be arrested than pay an undeserved tip!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• A mandatory tip just seems like an oxymoron to me. A tip is something extra they get if they have done good. I think if the service was aweful, they should have waived the "tip".
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Maybe in the state they are in you have to tip. In my state I do not think you have to.

Answer by louise2 at 3:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Isn't "not paying a bill" a CIVIL matter? I mean, he didn't pay all of the bill.... Are we going to start arresting people because they don't pay their bills?

Is there a sign that states a mandatory tip so people know in advance or is it just a surprise?

I think it is a waste of valuable police/court resources.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Okay, I just don't get how they can be charged with theft. Sure they say it is because it was part of the bill, but using that reasoning people that don't pay their electric bill should be arrested. How about the people that don't pay their bills and declare bankruptcy? Should they go to jail? This country doesn't have criminal debtor's laws.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Mmm. I've had people leave me notes that I was a wonderful server, but that they didn't have enough money to tip. Well, why are you eating out? Not only are you wasting my time, but you are rude, and you are lowering the amount of money I make NEXT week, because we are required to report our tips honestly, and If we don't maintain a certain average they give us a smaller section next week.
    If the service is terrible, they should've spoken to a manager, it's likely he would've removed the charge.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Okay, I just don't get how they can be charged with theft

Because it was part of the bill, gratuity, food and all. Go to a restaurant and skip out on the bill then drive to the police station and tell them what you just did and ask whether they have grounds to arrest you. It is theft.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 4:16 PM on Nov. 19, 2009