How many activities (after school) is too much? (including you,dh+kids)

My dd is taking dance and tap,once per week. I drive to and from school plus dh three times per week to pre school. I am lucky that the kids attend the same school. My ds needs swim lessons,and dd wants to take ice skating in addition to the dance classes. These three activities seem a lot to me. Is this too much?
Oh, I am wanting to take a class myself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Frankly, there is no right answer. What's right is what works for your family.

In our family, the rule is one sport, one activity, and church youth group. My daughter has gymnastics on Monday afternoons. They both go to youth group on Tuesday. Every other Wednesday we have Daisy Girl Scouts. Every other Friday we have Cub Scouts. In the spring we'll add my son's baseball games/practices. I volunteer at their school. I work part-time. I volunteer at our church. I work with the PTO on occasion and I lead my daughter's GS troop which also includes leader meetings for me. DH works full time with a long commute, goes to Boy Scout events, helps with the baseball team and has his own thing. It works for us. Is it crazy busy? Some weeks. Is it unmanageable? Not for us. If the kids show signs of being over scheduled, we cut out something. If they show disinterest? we cut out that particular thing.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• School is first priority in our home. If they are doing well then they can join a sports team. Ours will be playing baseball this summer, but for now our focus in on doing well in school. I feel all the running around puts a strain on their learning. They do better on a set schedule with school, homework, and bedtime. They do get to do things during the school year but it's mostly with us on wheeling trips, and riding dirtbikes. We feel the family that plays together stays together!!
    I also spend a lot of time helping out at school.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:29 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My son has Karate on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Guitar lessons are on Monday and Saturdays he is also in the boy scouts they meet on Wednesdays. My son is in private school and they actually get the school work done in class so rarely does he have any home work. If he does we do it right after school. My son loves his activities and if he wants to stop one he knows he can. We only have one child so he is able to do more than one thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Nov. 20, 2009