Do you think it is wrong to buy steaks, shrimp, lobsters or other expensive items on food stamps?

My family member gets food stamps and she is always inviting us over for dinner, she always makes delicious food, like last week she made fillet Mignon and lobster tails for about 7 of us. Do you think she should spend food stamps on luxury items?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• no i dont. it isnt fair. people who work hard all day and have bills to pay cant even buy that stuff every day.she probably gets half of her bills paid too. i think thats just wrong too.people abuse the systen dont they?
    rhondaroo2010

Answer by rhondaroo2010 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• As long as there is no rule saying they can't. Like non food items. I think it is ok. So people on food stamps should be eating just cheap food. Like beans and rice.

Answer by louise2 at 4:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• is it wrong to buy LOBSTER with food stamps? YES. I have been on them before- I wonder how it is she can buy stuff like that if she is REALLY qualified to recieve them. I hope she also buys some stuff to donate to food banks if this is what she buys for herself with them...
    Anonymous

• Doesn't she use them all up if she buys stuff like that?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• it's ok IF it's occasionally-like for a birthday dinner or celebrating a holiday or something...but to do it and always be inviting others to dinner?
    Anonymous

• You obviously didn't care as you sat there eating it. Pot. Meet. Kettle.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 4:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Ugh, obvious troll.
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 4:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Really? I wonder how she pulls that off??
    I would say that if she is able to sacrifice enough to save up to invite YOU over that you should be Thanking her instead of talking bad about her behind her back! Whada,think??
    I believ that ppl on food stanps each have different reasons for using them. Do I think that ppl who need help should go get "rations" like they did in communist russia?? NO.
    Do I think that little ones on food stamps should never get a soda? No-That would be wrong. Have heart PPL?
    Anonymous

• That's abusing her benefits. She should be extending the amount she gets by the less expensive foods, so her pantry stays full longer. She shouldn't be spending it on expensive foods that are only going to last her one meal.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• They get a set amount each month.
    If she wants to blow it all on 1 or 2 meals and be hungry the rest of the month, its really none of your business.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 5:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2009