Gallbladder disease from taking BC?

I have been miserable for MONTHS with stomach pain and problems, and was told last week I have to get my gallbladder taken out! My DH said jokingly the other day maybe it is your birth control pills causing this. Thought nothing of it, but was thinking about it again today and looked up the side effects of the Tri Sprintec I take(generic for Ortho Tri Cyclen) and I almost fell off my chair. There it was.....can be a cause of gallbladder disease! So now I am freaked! Do I stop taking it? Do I cancel my surgery? Is it something that can be fixed simply by discontinuing the pills? Called doc and surgeons nurses today, but no calls back yet and wanted to see if anyone else has had problems like this or knows any more about it than I do! Greatly appreciate any answers!!!

ButterflyMeli

Asked by ButterflyMeli at 3:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Health

• Gallbladder disease is a known complication from taking BCPs. I don't know if it's reversible. Sometimes, though, we take out gallbladders when it really isn't necessary. Ask what your other options are, and if you can try something else.

Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I have taken ortho tri cyclen for years, and I also had to have my gallbladder removed. I think the effects are irreversible though. I wish you luck if you do have the surgery.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 4:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Thanks Ati! I know!!! They pretty much told me that it sounds like it is my gallbaldder so they are going to take it out, even though all of the tests have come back negative for gallbladder! I have been struggling with it all week, I mean who am I to tell a doc they are wrong, ya know? And I mean I have told every doc I have seen for this that I am on BCPs! How did this not shoot up a red flag to anyone!!!! I am so frustrated right now I just want to cry!
    ButterflyMeli

Answer by ButterflyMeli at 4:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Aw! I'm sorry :( I'd seek a naturopath or even a midwife. I'd also try to stop the pill and see if that improves your symptoms over a month or two. Don't jump into surgury if it's unneeded and you're not even sure it wll improve your symptoms. Plus it's expensive! If your gallbladder were so bad you needed to have it removed, most likely your tests would show SOME abnormal gallbladder stuff, you know?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Naturopath? That would be like a natural herbs and stuff doc right? My Mom, oh man let me tell you, this woman is the queen of natural cures! I have tried at least 5 of her so called cures and nothing. I have tried pretty much anything and everything you can think of to fix this and nothing has hepled!! How would a midwife help with this? Do they do more than just pregnancy stuff? Guess I really don't know much about that! Nurse finally called back! She said stop taking pill for now and see how it goes, surgery can always be put off! Very true, I wasn't sure I even wanted to see the bill for that! We have good insurance, but I am still sure it would cost an arm and a leg! Thanks for the replies.....that is what I have been thinking all week too! Something should have showed up! Just hard to tell a surgeon they don't know what they are talking about ya know? lol
    ButterflyMeli

Answer by ButterflyMeli at 5:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• You know they are starting a class action lawsuit against the makes of certain bc pills that cause gall bladder disease - the one I heard about was Yaz, but keep your ears open, you may be able to get in on one and get some compensation.

Answer by missanc at 7:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2009