Does Uncle Sam care about your boobs and your health?

Do you think that new changes to the mammogram recommendations could possibly be connected to the gov't take over of the health care system? Since mammograms are expensive and it's now coming out of 'their' pocket maybe they don't need to be done every year?

unsuspected

Asked by unsuspected at 3:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yep. I also think, tho, that exposure to radiation once a year every year is the CAUSE of some breast cancer, though.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• For some time, they have advocated against the monthly self breast exam. The rationale is that too many come in with concerns that are not founded and extra money is spent on trying to figure out what these "lumps" are when they are not cancerous or should not be a concern. An annual exam by your health care provided is often adequate. Age and family history plays into this as well.
    Anonymous

• I think the govt needs to get its hands off my boobs.

I have had a total of 6 suspicious lumps REMOVED from both of my breasts. These weren't just needle biopsies, but removals. They were done by 2 different breast surgeons in 2 different cities. Some of the lumps were found by me and some by mammogram.

If you have never found a "frozen pea" in your breast you can't fully comprehend the issue. This type of lump is the one usually associated with breast cancer.

Under the new guidelines I would have just been told, live with it. I would have lived day to day wondering if I had cancer. What if I hadn't been checking and the lumps had been cancerous. I would be dead and my young children would have been motherless.

There is no evidence that mammograms cause cancer. Don't try and scare people.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:08 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I agree. I think they are realizing just how many "boobs" their are out there that need to be tested for breast cancer, and they aren't wanting to pay for it.

I think everyone needs to be screened for breast cancer.
    PoeDunkMae

Answer by PoeDunkMae at 4:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Nov. 19, 2009 by: Ati_13
    Yep. I also think, tho, that exposure to radiation once a year every year is the CAUSE of some breast cancer, though.
    _____________________-
    I've read many articles that agree with you. Personally, I want to hold off for a while on getting mammograms, or go for the ultrasound route. They say it's more expensive, but less risky.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous

• No, as the ADVISORY borad does not set Federal Standards for coverage

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• What about HPV, that's serious stuff and doctors and gov. don't seem to give a crap about that!
    Anonymous

• The timing is suspect.
    pvtjokerus

Answer by pvtjokerus at 10:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I hope this shows many people who are for the new healthcare that a lot who disagree with it do not care about poltics...its about getting good/decent health care.
    Brickhouse95

Answer by Brickhouse95 at 11:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2009