Please don't be mean! Is this normal!

I'd like to think I focus on not raising out of control kids. My other kids are fine. My 2yo is becoming a huge issue!! It doesn't seem like normal 2yo stuff. I'm spread thin!The ped says he's normal. He is beyond disobedient,he goes out of his way to disobey. He is aggressive towards my other kids,hurts them and me by kicking,hair pulling,biting.Timeouts don't work. He destoys my stuff,my phone,my computer,myfridge,and so much more. I have other small kids so I can't be on him every second,and you can't baby proof everything!He's not very affectionate and he never sits still. I'm losing myt patience and my sanity.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Some 2 year olds do act like that. However, I think you need a second opinion. Or perhaps yours feels he's not getting enough attention. Many kids will act out, even very badly to get attention. To them, negative attention is better than NO attention at all. I think you should try having 20 minutes of extra time with him all alone. I hope it works out for you.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 4:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• terrible 2's. My son is 4 and still acts like that sometimes. It is normal and honestly you can baby proof what you dont want broken or touched.
    ILovemyson1020

Answer by ILovemyson1020 at 4:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Maybe he needs or requires more attention than your others did.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 4:08 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• well, you need to sit and make rules and consiquences then sick with them. Don't allow his behavior to get to the point that it is distructive... if you ask him to stay out of the kitchen for example, and he steps in there once. then he needs consiquences. I personally do spank, and I find it works well. If I ask my 2 yr old to do something and it isn't done right away, then she will get a spanken and probably sometime in the cry chair... and normally we don't have any issues so its a rare occurance... probably because she understands the consiquences of disobediance.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My son was like that in his two's I remember him screaming and physically violent nearly while at a play group. Two kids later, 3 kids in all, consistency is what really works. Remove him from a place where his attitude/behavior is nasty bad or at best remove items, people his friends from his presence if he doesn't calm down.

Doing that combined with reminding my kids in morning, afternoon, afterschool, in evenings before such behavior could arise really made the difference. Spanking worked with my son but didn't faze my first daughter, my middle child, and infuriated even more my second daughter the youngest. What always worked for all three was keeping my word on punishment and telling them right before and reminding them daily of respecting others and, also, self respect.

Just because time out now is not working it doesn't mean stop it. It means he does not want to listen.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• You are the first person I have read on here that it sounds like there may be something wrong with the child. The thing is even if he has a psychological problem they won't diagnose or treat a 2 year old. What you need to do is become Super Mom. I'm not kidding.

My youngest son has bipolar disorder. He was diagnosed at 11. He also had developmental delays and his IQ is 80. He was misdiagnosed with ADHD at around 4 but I didn't really buy into that diagnosis. He was my 3rd son.

I had to learn to become a better mom. I went back to college and my doctoral minor was counseling psycology, just so I would know how to help him. We homeschooled.

It worked. He is 21 and has a good job and recently bought a home in Tucson with a pool. He is starting college in Jan. The boy the doctors said would never make it in society and never be able to read.

I suggest reading lots of parenting books.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Wow, my kids were kind of hard todeal with when they were toddlers but nothing like that! I would get a second opinion on that. He sounds like an unhappy little guy and maybe you need to find out why !!!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 7:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My guess would be that he is probably gifted and really bored. Try to channel him into learning activities.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:50 AM on Nov. 20, 2009