• In the Spotlight:

Is it teething?? and what do I do??

My 8 1/2 month old's two bottom front teeth began to break through about 2 weeks ago. She has been a bit irritable but most noticeably is her night waking and change in appetite. She eats her solids but definitley not like she used to. Sometimes we are lucky to get four or five bites down. She does still nurse and take bottles. I have read all about teething and this seems to be the symptoms but my question is how long should I expect this behavior if it is teething. I gave her tylenol before bed three nights in a row which did help her sleep better but my big concern is over medicating. I don't want to give her too much tylenol. Last night I did not give her tylenol and she was back to her wakeful pattern. Any advice??

hollysybb

Asked by hollysybb at 4:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think tylenol sucks. I gave my kids motrin. It worked so much better for them. And i rubbed that nummy stuff on their gums too.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 4:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• You can't give her Tylenol every night until all her teeth are in. Tylenol is hard on adult's livers. Infant's livers don't function as well as adult's. Teething is worse for some babies than others and there isn't much you can do other than massage, cold, and teethers.

If you have been feeding her jar food by spoon she is old enough for real food. She may prefer feeding herself. My grandbaby likes cold and frozen food when he is teething.

www.kellymom.com is a great website about breastfeeding, starting solids, and it has some info on teething
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Thank you for the information. I was wondering if maybe she is sick of the jar baby food and this is my big sign to move on. I have been so ridiculously organized about introducing each and every food, keeping a journal of everything. Can I just start giving her new things like broccoli or pasta now without doing the three days thing. She has already been introduced to wheat and has been fine. Also, I definitely did not want to give her tylenol every night because of what you had said. I have been trying to explain this to my husband who thinks I should just give her the tylenol every night before bed. Thanks again for the info!
    hollysybb

Answer by hollysybb at 4:16 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• DS teethed for about 4 months straight (and got all his teeth in that time). We only gave Tylenol on particularly bad nights or when we both had not had good sleep for several days. He really liked things like crackers and other things that he could chew for a long time (especially mommys biscotti) For us it was almost worse than the newborn stage because it went on for so long but we just took turns staying up with him till we both couldnt handle it.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 4:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2009