nb first shots? hep B shot at the hospital?

When do infants get their first round of shots? Also, I was told that the hep B shot immediately after birth is optional. Did your baby get it or not? Why or why not?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 4:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes we got hep b at the hospital
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:15 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• all shots are optional! my son got all shots except flu and varicella. you can always refuse a shot, or get it later than they "recommend". it's all the parents' choice. :)
    Anonymous

• ALL shots are an option and the first HepB one is complete BS. After skipping that first one in the hospital, they offer them again at 2 mos and about every 2 mos after that. I refuse them all. You can skip them all together, only choose some, or take them all just at a later time. Up to you. The Choosing Not to Vaccinate group is full of info =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:15 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• All shots are optional, as the PP said. It's a personal decision on all counts. But I think what was meant when you were told the first hep B shot is "optional" was that you can choose to get it at the hospital, or wait and let the pediatrician do it at the first office visit. My babies got theirs at the hospital because you have to wait a certain amount of time before getting the next booster shot, and I wanted to be able to schedule their well visits at the appropriate times instead of having to wait until they could have the shot.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• yup I got DD the birth hep B shot. And their first shots were at... 2 months? I believe.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 4:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I keep reading that the hep b is an unnessasary risk. im so confused! Is it required to register for school?
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 4:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• my daughter got it at the hospital
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 4:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My grandson didn't get the hep B at the hospital. My son told the doctor the baby wouldn't have any unprotected sex or use contaminated needles or syringes. He didn't have any blood transfusions and his mother didn't have hep B. He was at no risk of the disease.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• You can refuse the Hep B shot, and should. Newborn is too young to get it, children have been harmed or killed by it. If the mother does not have Hep B, your infant runs no risk of catching it. Hep B is contracted by blood and sex.
    Anonymous

• We skipped hep b till DS was a year old and started it then. I had to throw a hissy fit once to get the nurse to stop from giving him it. I wanted to do more research on it before he had it. It was when I finally met someone with it and realized that he has a lot fewer options that I gave the go-ahead to give it to my son.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 4:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2009