kick counts?

My dr said that I should start doing kick counts. What is that and did you do it?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 4:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I never do it bc she moves all the time anyways. I signed up for weekly pregnancy emails and the one this week was about counting kicks and said you should feel 10 kicks, flutters, or movements within an hours time.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 4:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Is there a problem?

Ithat's the only reason to count how many times a baby moves. Though be aware that they do sleep and rest and don't move all the time.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• It's where you take an allotted time (an hour at the end of the day is usually recommended), lie down with a cold drink, and all you do for that time is concentrate on noticing the baby move and counting each movement you feel. Usually (I think) they want 10 (or more) movements in that hour. It's generally a way of making sure the baby's doing well without having to do a non-stress test (NST). If your baby's movements fall short, then the doctor will probably have you go for a NST (where they hook you up to monitors like when you're in labor, but just to monitor baby's movements).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• They ask you to sit or lay down and count 10 kicks within 2 hours. I did it every night because it gave me a reason to relax :)
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 4:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My doctor wanted me to start kick counts at 28 weeks. I was suppose to start the count about 1/2 after eating any given meal or snack and watch how long it took to feel 10 DIFFERENT movements. The chart that I was suppose to mark it down on had 10 minutes, 20 minutes... (every 10 minutes up to an hour) then 2 hours & 3 hours.

MY baby moves so much that I dont do the kick counts becuase it would ALWAYS be under 10 minutes
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:22 PM on Nov. 19, 2009