Really?

I posted a question the other day about my husband and his accidental shooting himself in the knee while cleaning his gun. He has been in the army 3 years and has cleaned guns a million times, it was a dumb accident which he is obviously paying for now in the hospital.

Some women actually asked me if he was trying to get out of the army or deployment this way? I mean come on, for real? Are there actually men that you know of that have done something drastic to get out of something? He surely was not, by the way, he's been home from a 15 month deployment for almost a year and his unit isn't going back til Oct. 2010 so he didn't do it on purpose to get out of a deployment. His ETS date is next month so if he really wants to get out he only has a couple weeks left. It was a freakin accident. I just can't believe that some people think that, or, that some people have done that!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I also wish a full and speedy recovery for your husband.
    I believe you - accidents do happen and some people just don't understand.
    I know it hurts, but try not to let the negative remarks bring you down.
    I'm a military wife, too, and am familiar with all the garbage we have to hear and put up with no matter what we do.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 4:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I knew one person who did shot himself in the foot to get out. I am ashamed to say it was my Grandfather.
    I hope your DH recovers fully and quickly.
    littleredpony

Answer by littleredpony at 4:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Some people are just mean and stupid...you just have to ignore them. Hope your hubby heals real soon!
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• With the way things are in this "war", I personally don't blame anyone for trying to get out of deployment by shooting themselves. I'm not saying yours was doing that, just that I completely understand those that do. As for how people responded to your question, there are always going to be folks like that.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 4:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2009