Pro- RFing question

MIL says her legs being bowed out to the side while RFing is dangerous and uncomfortable, and she will get tired of looking at the backseat. Any comebacks or facts I can throw at her about this?

serioussifL

Asked by serioussifL at 4:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• when children play on the floor, they usually sit indian style...they do not sit with their legs straight out...a child is more comfortable with his legs up than he is with them dangling down

even as I type this, my legs are up in the chair...I'm not even as comfortable with my legs dangling

and they say that there have been no documented cases of broken legs while RF but there are plenty of cases of childrens heads coming off of their spines...there is name for it but I can't spell it, sorry

and HOORAY for you...keep your child RF 'til the limit of the seat...I love to hear of people doing that
    Anonymous

• How about how you don't want your baby to be internally decapitated and you would rather have her be uncomfortable or bored than dead.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• there are about 1000! How old is your dd?

Let me find some for you
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• DD is 10 months. Im switching her to a convertable seat and RFing her at 1 yr.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 4:22 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I'd rather have a broken leg than a dead child (though broken legs are NOT common in RF crashes). Besides which, if it's the only thing she's ever known, the only way she's ever ridden in a car, how would she know to be uncomfortable? Just sayin'... And they can still see out the window when RFing; is looking at the back of the front seat any better than looking at that front of the back seat?
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Show her some of the videos on YouTube about why RF seats are important.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• tell her is my ciold and i think i know whats best for her.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• child
    piwife

• I agree with piwife. Tell her that it is YOUR decision. My daughter is 16 months and still rearfacing and she doesn't seem to mind it one bit. She doesn't know anything different than looking at the backseat and I always bring toys for her. Safety trumps entertainment ANY DAY!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• The thing is kids cando things we can't. Mine rear faced until 18 months and never complained about her legs or being bored looking at the seat! I put a few toys on the handle in the back that she could grab for and look at. I only FFed her because we were switching car seats so much during tax season (I needed all the help I could get!) that it was just too exhausting to install it safely rear facing each time. 20 minutes later and half a gallon of sweat and I still coudln't get it tight enough! Forward facing is in and tight in 2 minutes. So safety actually meants ff a bit "early" relative to weight limits on the seat. She does like FF becuase she cna see more, but she didn't know that until she went forward. :)
    Anonymous