What do I do next in regards to feeding my almost 9 month old?

My baby is almost 9 months old and I am still feeding her the jar babyfood (2nd foods) and cereals... she has now been introduced to the mixed cereal. I feel like I am behind on feeding her more solid foods and textures. Should she be on to the finger foods now? I also have not yet introduced her to meat. Should I be doing this now? Am I a bad mom??? I think I am just so terrified of her choking! Help!

hollysybb

Asked by hollysybb at 4:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Never ask are you a bad mom on cm!! Someone might tell you that you are.

There is no reason to ever feed a baby cereal, jar baby food, puffs or any of the commercial baby foods.

Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for the first 6 months. If you didn't breastfeed then babies can start solids 4-6 months.

Babies can start on mashed foods like bananas, sweet potato, and avocado. Babies around 9 months need iron and can eat meats. They can eat regular meat - beef, chicken, pork, bison, other meat your family eats. You sould stay away from processed meat like hot dogs, lunch meat, ect.

www.kellymom.com has good info on starting solids.

Feeding baby real foods is more nutritious, easier, and cheaper.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My first baby ate jar baby food until she was 13 months old and has been nothing but completely healthy. My second baby started to refuse baby food at 9 months and it was a real pain. While they are eating baby food, you know how much they're getting and they tend to eat more fruits and vegetables than they will once they start eating finger foods. They also eat less once they start feeding themselves because it takes so long for them to pick up and eat the little bite size pieces of food. Feed your little one baby food as long as you want. You can introduce stage 3 because they are chunky and have a lot of variety of ingredients.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I nursed my son for 10 months exclusively. ....and then slowly added solids.
    I started with sweet potatoes, bananas, carrotts, avacodos, applesauce, squash. I never used rice cereal. Never had a problem with constipation.

I did one food at a time... just go by baby's cues. I nursed and then fed solids.

GL. www.kellymom.com is a great site :-)
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 4:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• You can start giving her those puff things tooor cheerios.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 5:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• No. A baby that young is still fine on milk alone. My DD didn't START solids til 11 months. It's never bad to wait but rushing and pushing can be. Solids are just for play and texture. All the nutrition babies need is in their milk.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:29 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Thank you for all the info.... .I am still breastfeeding and supplementing with formula. Guess my biggest concern is her choking on solid food. I gave her little bits of avocado yesterday (she has had before but mashed completely) and she gagged then threw up! I had been told by Dr. that after 6 months there is not enough iron in breast milk therefore cereals and formula are important.
    hollysybb

Answer by hollysybb at 3:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• my daughter just turned 10 months a few days ago and loves feeding herself. as long as u supervised and give soft foods that mush really easy there is no reason u cant introduce real food. i didnt even really use the jarred food with either kid. try over cooked carrots or canned peas or canned green beans. they mush really easily. and its not to say that occassionally your child wont put too much in there or swallow wrong but hey im 25 and still do that sometimes. just remember to introduce foods slowly and 1 at a time to watch for allergies. but my daughter always eats breakfast, lunch and dinner with us. also. over-cooked cooled plain noodles (elbow macaroni for example) is always fun. just remember that at this age making a mess and playing with their food is part of the learning to feed themselves process. and dont ever think ur a bad mom cuz u cant figure something out... i m sure ur a great mom!!
    wtigers83

Answer by wtigers83 at 9:24 PM on Nov. 20, 2009