Agree with Mike Huckabee?

During a relatively unnoticed speech in early November, former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee said he found it "deplorable" and "shameful" that his fellow Republicans were attacking the president for even the most trivial or well-intentioned matters.

Appearing before the Hudson Union Society to discuss his forthcoming book, "A Simple Christmas", Huckabee took umbrage with the criticism levied by some conservatives over Obama's visit to Dover Air Force base to see the coffins of returning soldiers.

When he [Barack Obama] was at Dover the other day, and went there to pay respect for soldiers, I heard a lot of people on the Right say "Aw, that's just a cheap photo-op." No, I think it was the Commander-in-Chief of our military paying respect to a dead soldier, and I'm grateful that he did that, and I was proud of him for doing that. And I think we all -- as Americans -- should give him credit for doing that.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 4:41 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• clapping

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 6:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• When he and Michele hosted the tricker-treaters on Halloween, quit finding something wrong with that. Say "Good, I'm glad that he and the First Lady are treating children to an experience at the White House." And I just find it deplorable that some people on my end of the aisle want to find everything wrong and nothing right about the man as a man.
    The underlying point, Huckabee concluded, was that knee-jerk criticism to the president was counter-productive to civil debate. "I hated it when people did that to George Bush," he said. "They couldn't even laugh at the man's jokes they found something wrong with everything and if we do that to Barack Obama, then shame on us, shame on us. No wonder our country is so divided when that happens."
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:41 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I agree with him. Finding fault with SOME actions or decisions is understandable, but spewing negatives about EVERY little thing about the man is, imo, just sour grapes. Yesterday on this forum somebody made a comment to me about GW Bush. Hey, I voted for the man as the lesser of the 2 evils, but think intellectually he had limitations that affected his job performance. However, as person he seemed kind and a real gentleman. All I see posted about  O is negative. In fact, he's America's biggest problem, according to many (scratches head)-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I agree with him.
    Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 5:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I think the meeting the plane was a photo op. He could have gone without reporters and just issued a press release later. I don't know about the rest. I disagree with a great deal this man says or does. I think complaining about the Halloween party was a little silly, and when they judge Michelle Obama's clothes (who cares). But When Michelle Obama says something genuinely offensive or stupid its open season. I think most of this is just people who dont like the man. He has this slick used car salesman vibe thatjust gets under the skin. Now when people get on HERE and ask a QUESION about clothes, issues, the size of his ears, or the fact that he bowed wrong to the Japanese Emporer you HAVE to expect criticism. So I am going to go out on a limb here and ASSume you are talking about the media and not the WONDERFUL ladies here in cafemom ;)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I for one never critized the halloween party. Thats just getting to picky. He has way to many big issues to complain about.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I heard the cheap photo op all the time on here about Bush. There are petty and immature people in both party. Obama does enough big things wrong I don't think it necessary to nit pick.
    Anonymous

• He might have went to pay respect but did he really need all those cameras? That should have been done in privacy, then it wouldn't have looked so much like a photo op.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 9:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I've been saying this for a while now. I thought that party was great. That's a story you tell for the rest of your life, when you are a little kid and get candy from the president.
    I dunno, I think it waters down your argument when you go after everything.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:32 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Well, I do agree that we need to pick our battles.

Flailing arms about every tiny thing causes the right to lose credibility.
    There are plenty of big things to worry about.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2009