Blood Clot

My SIL was just admitted into the hospital for bloodclot behind her right knee. They say its her BC that caused it. Im scared but hopeful that things will be fine. Any positive experiences with this issue?? TIA

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 4:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Health

• I have had 2 blood clots. Its great that they caught it early. One piece of advice is to ask them to run some simple blood tests to see if she has a clotting disorder. Aftr my first clot they told me it was due to birth control. So I had to stop using it. I asked them to test me and they didn't want to. Then I had a second clot and they tested me and I have a clotting disorder. Lucky that I found out before I had my kids because my clotting disorder is the most common cause of miscarriage when not treated. So, she should be fine- but she should try to be tested to be on the safe side in the future.
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 12:02 AM on Nov. 21, 2009

• I have never had a blood clot, but it's pretty easy to treat. (I'm a nurse). Hopefully they caught it early and she will be able to follow the instructions that she is given. If you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Be glad it's only in her leg and they caught it before it traveled! My husband has been in intensive care twice with blood clots in his lungs. Now he's on Coumadin for life. There are two different vein systems that run through the legs. One goes directly up to the heart and lungs, and the other doesn't. Sometimes the clot will be there, but because it's in a superficial vein system, it won't be an immediate threat. Good luck to your SIL!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My Mom had one in her leg. They put her on cumadin (sp?), eventually it got better, she is off it now and doing just fine. Sorry, that's all I can remember ;o) Hope your SIL is doing better ASAP!!
    Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:46 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I had a blood clot in my leg. It was operated on and I was placed both on coumadin and had to give myself shots in the stomach twice a day. This was four years ago and I haven't had a repeat episode.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 6:09 AM on Nov. 20, 2009