TMI: missionary sex at 35 weeks

hi every1,

i am 35 and a half weeks pregnant and my husband and i had missionary sex last nite and today i have been having some cramps and the baby is moving less then before. could sex have harmed the baby?....i mean my husband did kinda press himself onto my stomach (he got a little carried away)

please share ur thoughts

fay101

Asked by fay101 at 4:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• piwife... I have NEVER in my life heard that missionary sex is harmful to an unborn baby! Where did you get that bit of info that would have you tell this mama to go to the hospital? I am very confused!

OP... I would HIGHLY doubt that your hubby would have pushed so hard against you to harm your baby:) I have had missionary sex up until I delivered my first two and am having it that way this time around too. You are at a point in pregnancy where cramping is TOTALLY normal so it very well might just be a coincidence that you started to cramp today! As long as you arent having a bloody show or leakage (other then the stuff left over from sex) then I wouldnt worry about it at all
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:16 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• well you are nt supposed to have missionary sex when your that far along is bad for the baby. i i were you i would go to the hospital
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I am by no means an expert but I will say that it was normal for me to cramp after DH and I would have sex while I was pregnant but I can't remember if I felt the baby move less per se. The last time we did it while I was pregnant this last time I remember the pain of the cramps more than anything. I did ask my nurse practioner about it at the time and she said it was normal to feel pain after sex. If you are nervous about it, call your doctor. That will probably set your mind at ease more than anything you read on here.
    Anonymous

• He would have to have pushed REALLY hard against your belly.

Semen does have hormones in it that soften your cervix, and having something inside your vagina and hitting up against your cervix can cause some cramping the next day.

ANy sexual postion is safe as long as you are comfortable and don't start to feel dizzy or short of breath.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i was by a doctor and midwife
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:22 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• piwife... those were two VERY paranoid people. I have never in all of my life heard that it would harm the baby. Did they tell you how it could possibly harm the baby?
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• yes they told me pressure in the belly.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• This same thing happened to me at 35 weeks. I went into labor & delivery the next morning, because she had not been moving around after i had been awake for quite a while. The second they hooked me up to the NST, she was a dancin' fool! The nurse asked if i did any unusual activity the day/night before & I told her that SO & I had had sex & she said it can cause cramping, due to the hormones in semen. Not once during that visit or any of my OB visits thereafter did ANYONE tell me that any sex position would harm the baby. I'm sure you're fine, go drink some juice & lie down in a dark room for a while & I'm sure baby will start moving. If you're still nervous, call your OB/Midwife.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 6:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i've never heard the missionary is bad thing either... i'm 35 weeks also and my husband and i are pretty religious on the missionary position since i cant seem to function any other way lol... i think you're fine, i get cramping after sex all the time..and you have to remember that you are this far along and your dearest baby doesn't have much room to move around anymore, and you'll start feeling the sharp kicks less and less... you'll still feel the rolling around and stuff but it does become less than you're used to (i asked my doc all this stuff on monday!).... if it persits longer than a day or two, you can always call your doc and just ask, he/she will be more than happy to answer any questions you have about it! good luck! =)
    SammyJoB

Answer by SammyJoB at 8:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2009