Agree with the Army?

RALEIGH, N.C. – The U.S. Army plans to prevent media from covering Sarah Palin's appearance at Fort Bragg, fearing the event will turn into political grandstanding against President Barack Obama, officials said Thursday.

Fort Bragg spokesman Tom McCollum told The Associated Press that the military post's garrison commander and other Army officials had decided to keep media away from Palin's book signing, which will not include a speech.

The AP and The Fayetteville Observer were protesting the decision to ban media.

McCollum said the Army did not want the Monday event to become a platform to express political opinions "directed against the commander in chief."

"The main reason is to stop this from turning into a political platform," he said. "There are Army regulations that basically prohibit military reservations from becoming political platforms by politicians."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 5:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yup....
    Anonymous

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091119/ap_on_en_ot/us_palin_fort_bragg
    He said only one politician can use that platform, "and that person does it as our commander in chief."

Palin, the former Alaska governor and 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee, has already agreed not to give a speech at Fort Bragg, McCollum said. Officials said Palin will only sign her books at the event and will not stop to pose for photographs or personalize the books.

But McCollum worried that Palin's supporters might use the media to express political opinions from the sprawling military installation that serves as a base for some 35,000 soldiers.

"This will stop someone from grandstanding," he said. Other members of the public would be permitted to attend.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 5:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• yes, i agree with the Army.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 5:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I think its in bad taste to have it there so soon after the shootings. Why not move the location? They don't want it there, are afraid of the wing nuts (and that is not a reference to ALL republicans) turning it into a circus.....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 5:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I do.
    Anonymous

• How is it in bad taste? If you want to say it is in bad taste to do something on a military installation every time soldiers are killed, then they would never have anything going on. As military with our spouses/SO deployed we need the distraction.

Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 5:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Besides that, the shootings happened at a different base in a different state. And just so you all know, I am an Army spouse and I feel for all the families at that base. It is very sad and dishearting to know that that would happen on a base and is an act of betrayal for an officer to do that.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Were there shootings at Ft Bragg that I missed? I think they are more afraid of the left wing nuts actually.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• keep media away from Palin's book signing, which will not include a speech.

Sooooo are they saying the MEDIA cant control themselves? Because Palin isnt going to be sp[eaking so SHE wont be the one turning into that.  Or are they worried those on the base (military and their spouses) will say negative things?  And what about freedom of speech and the press ect ect that usual libs are screaming about?  I think this is very odd and I didnt know Ft Bragg had a shooting either.  Are all the military bases shutting down ALL extra curricular things?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I don't agree with them but I am not shocked would not want Bamas wittle feelings to be hurt with Sarah Palin getting more attention than him.
    Anonymous