Male Gyno/Ob

another question got me to wondering.

do you have a male gyno or ob AND do you trust their judgement?
The reason I ask is that a male doesn't have the same 'plumbing' that a woman does and has never had a menstrual cycle or the issues that women have and has never been pregnant or given birth but we still trust their judgement BUT we have a problem with a woman with no kids giving us their OPINION.
Yes, I know that the male ob/gyn has a degree and the woman does not.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 5:12 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Personally, I don't think men make good decisions in healtcare as often as women do. And they have a tendency to get a God complex. I only use female pracitioners when at all possible.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:16 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• EW. I would feel like they were molesting me. I prefer a woman.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 5:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• All I can say is that I, my mother, and my sister were pissed as hell when the male doctor on call tried telling me I was not in labor, we didn't know what we were talking about and that he knew better because he went to med school.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 5:22 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Well, your reasoning is way off. If you get cancer, would you only want a doctor that has cancer, so he knows what's going on?
    Anonymous

• I have had only three OB/GYN's over the years that I have trusted. The first was a woman and she was wonderful. She moved out of the area and the next two I had were women and they were terrible. The next two were men and I trusted them completely. I felt comfortable with them, they were good doctors and listened to my concerns. For me it's not a question of gender. I had good and bad of each gender. As long as I'm listened to, I don't care if it's a man or a woman.

As for getting advice from other women, whether they have children or not, my view is that one does not give advice about anything unless they are asked. I find it even more odd that a woman who has no children would give someone who does have children advice. But I've always found thst to be strange and have not yet seen anything to change my opinion on that.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I had a male OB for my first two.

and then a woman for the third.

he was nice and gentle and listened to me, he understood everything and took the time. She on the other hand was HORRIBLE she HURT me. and when I said ow, she flat out told me "I'm a woman, you're a woman. this does NOT hurt you, you can deal with it."

I'll never see a female dr for anything again she was so horrible.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I've always had a male OB. When i had DD there were 2 female OB's in the practice and i didn't like either of them. I have a male OB this time around again and i love him. I completely trust his judgement, since he's been in practice longer than i have been alive!!
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• well seeing how i ahve tricare i get whatever ob is available thatday, so i have had both. i really dont care am fine with male or female
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• *that*
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I've had as many horrible female doctors as male - across all fields, not just OB/GYN. Gender has nothing to do with whether or not someone is a good doctor. Knowledge does, and women without children are sorely lacking in KNOWLEDGE of how to parent.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2009