help! my three yr old doesn't want anything to do with the potty.

my three year old son will wear underwear, go naked happily. but he pees all over the house. when i try to convince/ encourage him to use the bathroom he says he "isn't good at that, and doesn't want to try.". i know you must be postive and fun about potty training, i am. we have had potty parties when he has used the bathroom, we've gone shopping for "big boy underwear". i have tried making a big deal about it and being low key nothing seems to be working. i'm thinking maybe he isn't ready yet and i should back off and wait longer. before i delay what would you do?

Asked by pantsmom at 9:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 3 year old just went trough this. We tried everything it seemed. Finaly I started putting him on the potty first thing in the morning with a basket of "potty toys" (toys just for potty time) and left him on there with the toys until he pottied. Then we cleaned up and put the toys back and left the bathroom. Every week I would change the toys in the basket to keep it new. Every 30 min during the day or when I thought he needed to go, I would say OK lets go play with the potty toys now and he would.

Answer by 2boyzmomma1n2 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• My son isn't to that stage yet, but a friend of mine had the exact same problem. She said she just kept trying to get him to go while she was watching him, but didn't make a huge deal out of it. She "threatened" to put her son in diapers & that made him use the potty, but only if she reminded him. If your son has any friends who are potty trained, they can be great influences too. He could see one of his friends using the bathroom & want to be a big boy too. Good luck!

Answer by crazysocks830 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• My sister used a potty training urinal when her son was 18 mon. She has him completly potty trained before he turned two and swears by the little urinal. Here is the link to it on Amazon.
    Good luck. Boys are trickier than girls lol.

Answer by anaebanae at 11:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Mine didn't either so I just took him pull ups away and put him in unders. He has only had 3 accidents since :)

Answer by Bentyswife at 3:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2008