What can we do as a family to help our community?

This year i really want to make an effort to teach my children about community and how to give to others etc etc. Of course, i try to teach them these things all the time but the cold winter months are when most seem to be the most needy. I'm looking for ideas on how to involve my young children in my efforts. (4 & 5)

This is kind of what i have in mind already:
We will spend some time at the homeless shelter. I'm not sure EXACTLY what we'll be doing. But we will be there to help.
I would like to something for the senior citizens in nursing homes. Again, i'm not sure what. But i really want it to mean something to them. Or even just ONE or TWO of them.
Also, i will be taking my children to a local book store. We will each pick out a book and then donate it to our local library.

What other things can we do? or can you add something to the ideas i already have? Thanks

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 5:16 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• well, i think you have some really great ideas already. Call a nurseing home and tell them what your wanting to do. I used to work at a nurseing home and when moms would bring in their young kids to just visit the residents, it just made their day!! Most are very lonely and just having a little one crawl up into their lap and just love on them is the greatest gift they could ask for. Also have your kids work on cards and paintings for them.

With christmas comming up, concider letting yoru kids pick out a child their age from the angel tree, or doing one of thoes shoe boxes for kids.

But the nursing home idea is an awsome one... it means so much to those residents, and your kids will benifit from it too.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:21 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• There are families that need help that aren't the ones that usually get help. People that have rare diseases often don't get help. All the help seems to go to homeless shelters and people with the 'popular' diseases like cancer and AIDS.

Disabled college students are another group that need help. They may lack basic things that would make life much easier for them. You can find out about disabled college students by calling a local college office of disabled student services.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Before you volunteer at a homeless shelter, find out what their rules are about children volunteering. Some places do NOT allow kids under a certain age (safety issues). You can go to a soup kitchen too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• soup kitchen. Donate food to a food bank. Call a local church and see if they have a family in need for the holidays. Animal shelters always like volunteers. I know where we use to live they collecte4d socks and hats and gloves in the cold months for shelters.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:39 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• For those ages, visits to a senior home would be best. They are too young for most agencies.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:49 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• That is true that there are many who really need help at this time and they don't get it because there are so many services for other things.

I live in kind of a small city though so i'm not sure who i would get a hold of to help the small number of people here who would fit into that category.

And my brother is a disabled college student. I think i've got that one covered. lol
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• When my son was younger we used to do a good cleaning of his room to get rid of toys and clothes so he had room for new stuff he would ne getting for Christmas and took it all to a "reuse center" where the stuff was free. I always took him with me to donate and one time he got a good lesson from it when a boy about his age (5 or 6 at the time) took a box of books just as we set it down and was very excited that he was going to be able to keep them. So look at the "regular" donating you do as an opportunity too.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2009