What would be some good questions to ask a teacher about integrating my autistic child into their public school?

slanden

Asked by slanden at 5:22 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• My first one would be...have you ever worked with an autistic child before? I would ask if they had any classes on autism....I would flat out ask if they felt they could handle my child and be a benefit to my childs education.

See if she can tell you any benifits of autism....a teacher who can find the positives in any student is a teacher you can work with.

By the way, I am a teacher and I have an Aspie daughter. ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• benefits....sorry
    mom2twobabes

• Pre-conceived notions of what defines a child w/a disability can do way more harm than a lack of training ever could. As long as a teacher is willing to work with your child, nothing else matters, because when it comes to a child with autism, all the training in the world won't amount to a hill of beans if the teacher isn't willing to work with your child' particular needs. A one-size-fits-all approach doesn't work with children w/an ASD.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Nov. 20, 2009