Little boy acting out at school.

This is part of an email I got from my son's first grade teacher today.:

"At the start of Centers, he hit another child in the stomach and was asked to immediately move his name to the red --stop light. (behavior traffic signal.) He had a fit that he shouldn't have to move his name to the Red light. Because of his dangerous behavior, the automatic consequence is to trade me his Recess. I explained he could use the time with me (and others) during recess for an "unfinished work club." He hardly got anything finished during Recess because he spent so much time speaking to himself in a robotic language. As Recess was over, I announced whatever work was unfinished, would be saved for tomorrow's "unfinished work club." He went into a rage, threw a chair at me, and then threw a handful of pencils."

He never acts like this at home. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Wow! It sounds like he doesn't belong in school. His behavior is dangerous to others. The teacher doesn't know how to manage him. Can you homeschool?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Oh no mom, we have a child that has this behavior at our preschool.

He needs to know that you support his teacher. If you trust her and feel that she is doing her job...then he needs to know that you and his teacher are on the same team.

He needs to be firmly disciplined at home everyday that he misbehaves at school. Most teachers have a way to talk back and forth with parents....if not, maybe you guys need a notebook that can go back and forth everyday and tell his behavior....your punishment comes from whatever is written in that notebook.

ALSO, rewards for good days!!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I agree with the above poster on working with the teacher/school having the communication is key. also letting your son know you back the teacher up. however some of the wording of the teachers email bothers me, if you feel she's handling it well, then talk to her see what she suggests see if he's having any other problems at school maybe with other kids or the teacher etc. there could very well be another issue dont give up on him, give it some time dont just yank him out of school.
    Make sure you let him know you love him, sounds like he's going thru something, kids deal with feeling different, is anything changing at home?
    Good luck mom! you can do this
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 10:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Has to be something from home for him to act out like this. Have you sat him down to ask why he is behaving this way. I agree with the second poster. Make sure you reward for good behavior. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Nov. 20, 2009