Do you like using big words in conversations?

Or do you try to keep things simple?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 5:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We do use big words. I homeschooled my children and one of the ways I helped them learn a lot of words was by using big words in everyday conversation. Most of the time when my children were young we lived in family housing on a college campus and everyone used big words.

My youngest son is 21. He has an IQ of 80 and can't pass the GED. No one believes him when he tells them because he has a large vocabulary and can carry on conversations with anyone. Want to fake being smart, learn big words and how to use them.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:41 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I guess I just use whatever words best express what I am trying to say. I never really thought about whether they were big or small. I have this friend though that always uses big words and most of the time, she uses them incorrectly. I always have to correct her . . . it's so dumb to try to use big words to make yourself sound smarter, but only end up sounding dumber.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I just speak the words that pop into my head. I can't really edit myself in conversation. My mom and a few of my friends have said they think I have weird speech patterns. I guess that's their way of saying I talk funny. LOL
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 5:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• It depends on who I'm talking to, and what about. If there person I'm talking to is smart enough to understand a larger vocabulary, then yes I do use bigger words when the word has a specific meaning that I'm trying to convey.

Anonymous

• "I have this friend though that always uses big words and most of the time, she uses them incorrectly."

Hahaha, this makes me think of the movie The Princess Bride and the Silician..."Inconceivable!"
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Gailll: I just finished a similar discussion with a friend/colleague. We were talking about full scale IQ scores and the subtests; she mentioned that when our students score higher on the verbal sections (but bomb everything else), people are always surprised. "They seem to be so high functioning." So, talk pretty everyone!
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 5:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• "Inconcievable!" LOL Its still ringing in my head!!!!! Love that part too.

I wish I could use big words but my brain is just turning into mush. I am forgetful. The other month I picked up my friend and we rode to the school meeting together. After the meeting, I told my friend "I gotta go pick up my boys, see you tomorrow." She said "Wait, I rode with you!" Oh we cracked up. See? Mush I tell ya.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• LOL! Sometimes I'll use a "big" word. It all depends on the conversation. Although I'm not a "big word" type of gal...
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 6:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i want to, but i have to hear them first and then say them, im not good at knowing big words, sometimes i want to come on cafemom and ask "how do i say all this in big words?" but i dont, i either mistakenly say it wrong or spell it wrong or maybe say it right!
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 7:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I have an outstanding vocabulary. It was my favorite in school. Words are what I do lol.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2009