If you are religious (on any path) do you force your beliefs upon your children...

and do you require them to take part in worship? (Church, Ritual, Family Studies - whatever)

And why or why not??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yep, b/c they are kids and kids learn what they live.

If you truly believe and your life has been changed by God, then your only desire in life is that your children feel that kind of love from God like you have.

And I dont see it as forced either. We have missed a few Wednesday night studies and my son was begging to go back this Wed. night. He comes home telling me all he has learned and even asked for his own Bible for Christmas. I am proud of him.

Anonymous

• I grew up being forced (physically at times) to attend church, family bible studies and go door to door... It was complete torture! And dug a huge ditch between my mother and I because she believed that HER beliefs were the only right ones and the only ones that mattered...

So, as an adult and a parent - NO, I do not force my beliefs on my children. In fact my kids have only been exposed to religion through myths. I read them myths from all over the world, including Judeo-Christian, Greek, Roman, Scandinavian, Native American and other myths...
    When they grow up they will have their own path to find... But as a child that's not something I think they need to have in their lives.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• You personally had a bad experience., it doesnt have to be that way.

I try very hard to teach my children of Gods love and I try to do that (as best as I can) the same way that Jesus would do it. And Jesus LOVED people unto himself. I love my children to God.

Dragging them there is not the way to accomplish that. But exposing them to God in my life and showing them who he is to me helps them figure it out.

As a parent its my job to help them learn, not to let them flounder around. They might just find the wrong path.
    Anonymous

• No.
    They are still young so we dont include them in any rituals or magick we do. If they have a question about something(like the subject of death came up this summer when my grandpa died)then we answer how we believe and they also heard other viewpoints(from relatives they saw at the funeral).

When they are older and have more questions and ability to fully grasp things then we will get more indepth about the variety out there. In the end, they will hear are viewpoints first but will also be told there are others out there and then they can learn all they want and choose their own path.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I DO NOT force my kids to believe anything...I encourage them to learn about all kinds of religion and mythology.
    I was brought up attending Assebly of God churches (protestant) and as a kid -when I wasn't in the classes FOR kids...and had to go to the actual adult services it scared me. literally. I mean people falling down in the isles...talking in tongues...that stuff freaked me out. When I got older and tried to pull away from it(I was over 18 but still living with my parents) they would bribe me to go to church...I would not be able to use the car or get a ride omewhere unless I went to church first. I ended up marrying an atheist and I pretty much am one too. I AM intersted in WHY people feel the need for it all. I will never push any religion on my kids.
    *and my mother and I barely talk- for her, almost everything revolves around God and for me-it doesn't. I don't get her...and she doesn't get me either.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• No,because I was forced. Worship is a part of living in our house, and my kids accept it just fine.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My children go to church with me to my church and participate in Sabbath School (I am Adventist). Then on Sundays we visit other churches in the area (the kids are really liking the church 2 seconds from the house, that's pretty nice! LOL). We have family worship every night where we read Bible stories and pray together. They go to church with me because there is no one else to watch them and I enjoy services. When my husband is home, if the children want to stay at home,they may. But we are allowing them to choose, when they are ready (one reason we visit various churches, letting the kids know that whatever they choose is their choice and we will support them 100%). But force? No. You cannot require a child to believe, you can guide, you can lead, you can answer questions, but, in the end, it is the child who will grow to adulthood and make the choice for themselves.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 5:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I teach my stepdaughters about all religions and spiritual paths. I believe in everyone having information and the freedom to choose what they want to believe. And they don't have to believe the same way hubby and I do. Whatever they choose we will be happy with it as long as they are.
    I am pagan, hubby is Jewish and some of the other family is Christian. We also teach them about Islam, Buddhism, Native American, Hindu and other spiritual beliefs.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 5:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i think it's a weird question..but i'll try to answer. I am muslim. islam is not separate from my lifestyle. i attempt to live life islamically. so it would be impossible not to raise my daughter muslim. am I forcing her? well.. maybe to an outsider who doesn't understand that your kids are upon what you are on... but to me..it's the most correct thing to do.

now if my daughter grows up and feels islam is not for her... then she is free to leave my home until then she is going to live islamically.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 5:57 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• No I do not force them but I do not hide my faith from them in any way. I want them to know that feeling proud of your faith is okay. They do willingly take part in many of the spiritual activities that i do but it is by their own choice.
    I like to say that i am guiding them in the Pagan path. I'm not raising them to be anything. I let them know full well that this is what i believe and others believe other things. DS1 asks me questions about Buddhism so i try to guide him in that as best i know how as well.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:57 PM on Nov. 19, 2009