Is this wrong?

I lived in a group home for disabled adults. One of the ladies had a 4 year old and she never got to go anywhere except school. Her uncle lived there, he could have taken her place since her mom doesn't drive. Most of the time she is in the room watching TV. The uncle makes her stay on the bed, the mom let's her run around when he is gone. They never even take her outside. I feel bad for her but she seems happy. Probably bc this is all she knows. I was there for a month and a half and the only place she got to go was the dentist, dr, and store once.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Of course it isn't optimal. Is it bad enough to take the child away from the mother?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• OP- I don't think so. But I do know that as she gets older the uncle plans on taking over since the mom is developmentally disabled. And he plans on traveling back and forth between here and East Texas with her. She will have a nanny to homeschool her, so she won't even being going to school.
    Anonymous

• That's like living in a box. I don't think it's healthy. I'd just call cps anonymously and ask them what they think. I know in Germany there was man who kept his daughter and her children living in his basement never letting them out and they are in a mental institution now over the damage it did to them. So we don't know the damage it can cause but she needs to be outside playing and getting fresh air daily.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I would not call CPS. You stated in your post she seems happy. Think about the effects this will have on her if you call CPS- the possibility that she will be taken away from the only family she knows. Not everyone parents the same way. It seems she is loved and cared for and you describe is happy and that is what matters. It seems the Uncle may be doing the best he can.
    Anonymous

• CPS will do nothing. From the sounds of it, the child is healthy, happy, cared for, taken to the doctor, and fed. There is a roof over her head and clothes on her back. All the BASICS a child needs. She is not being abused. It is not law that a child has to be taken outside or to places. Let it go.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My SS was kept inside the first three years of his life and when we got him he had low muscle tone, couldn't run or jump that's neglect. I adopted since then and in the two yrs we have had him he is a different child but he is still stiff and still has low muscle tone.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:57 PM on Nov. 19, 2009